The Student Room Group

What does a grade 9 at gcse get me?

I spent so long and put so much effort trying to get a grade 9 at GCSE maths, however I feel like I put so much effort into it it took effort away from my other GCSEs. Now I'm feeling very anxious one, for if I get the 9, and secondly if I've ****ed up (by my standards) the other GCSEs...

I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to have tried so hard, and if other students should really put this much effort in, considering my school's FM application is an 8. I'm aiming for Cambridge if that makes any difference.
Original post by Skidushe
I spent so long and put so much effort trying to get a grade 9 at GCSE maths, however I feel like I put so much effort into it it took effort away from my other GCSEs. Now I'm feeling very anxious one, for if I get the 9, and secondly if I've ****ed up (by my standards) the other GCSEs...

I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to have tried so hard, and if other students should really put this much effort in, considering my school's FM application is an 8. I'm aiming for Cambridge if that makes any difference.

Honestly I don't think grade 9 will give much advantage over someone who got a grade 8, reason being they're both A*s. I think if anything grade 9 will give the occasional "wow" at an interview but that's really all tbf
Reply 2
Original post by Skidushe

There is doubt on whether universities are going to care on the difference of an 8 and a 9.
a warm feeling of satisfaction, if that was what you were aiming for. Really it won't be viewed as much different to an 8 imo.
It ultimately depends:
You get a grade 9 in Maths, sweet, of course, by the very nature of a numerical grading system, it is better than a grade 8, the rarity of the grade 9's given ensure that you'd be considered within a small percentage of highly achieving students, and this will unlock various positions for post-16, such as Maths/FM A Level. It also means that you may have the upper hand when it comes to assessing different Uni Applications-i.e, two candidates with the same grades/experience, but a higher GCSE grade could be a potential differentiator (however GCSE role playing differs from uni to uni).

But:
1) Sure, numerically, a grade 9 is obviously better than a grade 8, but at the grand scheme of things, is it? The grade 9 is merely determined by the top end of grade 8, and looking at it comparatively, a grade 8/9 both constitute the legacy A* grade.

2) If you're applying to do...well Mathematics at the Uni as a degree in the future, you're ok (ish, i'll get to this later). However if you're going for, say, a STEM degree in the Engineering/Computer Science sections, while Mathematics plays a major role for this, that's no lie, you also need to attain similarly good grades in the STEM subjects (i.e Physics, Chemistry).

3) Most Unis like a good, consistent spread when it comes to GCSEs, most Unis only really care that you have a good amount of As and A*s, and a good grade in subjects relating to your chosen field. AAAAAAAA is probably better than A*A*ABBCCC.

4) Number 3 is especially the case if you are going for Medicine/Applying for Oxbridge probably, you gotta pump out as many As and A*s as possible, not just one.

But overall, I praise your hard work for Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest