Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd only had one MMR before, so I got the booster one done today!

Gosh don't ya love jabs! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    Please bare in mind that many universities are recommending TWO doses of the MMR vaccine.

However, for people our age, it seems it was common to be given 1 MMR and then a follor up MR jab. Check if this is the case with you. If it is, they recommend you get a second full MMR jab!
    are you sure?
    I'd had the MMR only once before(89 i think) so I asked the local nurse to give me another today. I'm pretty sure it was a booster though(that was what was reccommended anyway), actually I think I'll ring up after lunch and just check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    My uni(imperial) has asked me to get a meningitus C jab, just wondering if people(freshers) have been asked by their unis to get the same jab too?
    I was quite surprised as I thought it was usually only medics who need jabs before uni (some sort of hepatitus one)...
    i thought the university usually arranged for freshers to get the meningitis jab - my sister's and boyfriend's did anyway. but no, it's not unusual, because teens/early twenties is a very vulnerable age for meningitis.

ReputationRep:
    This thread worries me about my protection.

If I had another FULL MMR jab or just a booster, wouldn't I be at risk of the risks of the injection such as the autism reports etc?

Also, I can't remember how many injections I've had and for what. BCG - yes, Men. C - yes (maybe A and B if that was available), Diptheria - yes, MMR likely (doctors thought I was autistic as I spoke at a late age), tetanus I think. I know I've had quite a few of the major ones because I've been India but I can't remember fully what and when.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    i thought the university usually arranged for freshers to get the meningitis jab - my sister's and boyfriend's did anyway. but no, it's not unusual, because teens/early twenties is a very vulnerable age for meningitis.
    Hmm, not this one it seems...they said they don't like to have to immunize everyone once there there because there are too many people and you won't be protected for the first few week.
    Spose it just depends on the uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GSS)
    This thread worries me about my protection.

If I had another FULL MMR jab or just a booster, wouldn't I be at risk of the risks of the injection such as the autism reports etc?

Also, I can't remember how many injections I've had and for what. BCG - yes, Men. C - yes (maybe A and B if that was available), Diptheria - yes, MMR likely (doctors thought I was autistic as I spoke at a late age), tetanus I think. I know I've had quite a few of the major ones because I've been India but I can't remember fully what and when.
    if you ring your GP you can request a copy of your full immunisation report - i had to do it when i started a new job. or you can contact your school (of you had your jabs through them) and they give you an address to write to to request it.

if you're worried about the effects of any injections i would book an appointment to see your nurse and she can explain to you what the best procedure would be. personally i have never heard of people getting MMR boosters, only the meningits vaccination. also, my year at school (i'm 18) were the first year to have the time between tetanus injections change, so we have lots until we're 25 then none, instead of every ten years. but my doctor may have been lying!

Also, just read up on MMR and stuff, the NHS website might be good? i had the MMR and i'm fine - the autism stuff is not proven yet, and my personal belief is that it MAY be linked to autism IF other factors are present (genetics, viruses etc)

ReputationRep:
    Cool response, not really worried about MMR side effects as I don't have any problems in my life at the moment and the whole "speaking late" thing was when I was a toddler, also when I had MMR (I think). No development problems over here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GSS)
    Cool response, not really worried about MMR side effects as I don't have any problems in my life at the moment and the whole "speaking late" thing was when I was a toddler, also when I had MMR (I think). No development problems over here.
    good good!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.