DBord
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys! So i'm going into my third year of biomed and i'm really struggling to figure out what I want to do next. I initially wanted to apply for a graduate degree in dentistry and am preparing to do so however I have no idea what to do if that plan falls through (which it most likely will considering how competitive it is). I guess I'm freaking out a little. I was thinking about doing an Msc in pharmacology and then maybe applying for the NHS STP? I mean what job would I even be able to get after an Msc in pharmacology? Or maybe do an Msc and then a Phd. Honestly I just want to hear peoples thoughts and maybe experiences after having done biomed. What Msc/Phd did you do if you did one? Did you go straight into work? I would just really appreciate any help anyone can give! Thanks
Jam Jam24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DBord)
Hi guys! So i'm going into my third year of biomed and i'm really struggling to figure out what I want to do next. I initially wanted to apply for a graduate degree in dentistry and am preparing to do so however I have no idea what to do if that plan falls through (which it most likely will considering how competitive it is). I guess I'm freaking out a little. I was thinking about doing an Msc in pharmacology and then maybe applying for the NHS STP? I mean what job would I even be able to get after an Msc in pharmacology? Or maybe do an Msc and then a Phd. Honestly I just want to hear peoples thoughts and maybe experiences after having done biomed. What Msc/Phd did you do if you did one? Did you go straight into work? I would just really appreciate any help anyone can give! Thanks
Hey i did biomed and now starting medicine. Most my friends went onto to medicine or dentistry. Did you sit the UKCAT?
DBord
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jam Jam24)
Hey i did biomed and now starting medicine. Most my friends went onto to medicine or dentistry. Did you sit the UKCAT?
Im sitting my UKCAT next month and I'm pretty terrified hahah. Can I ask what uni you're going to for med and if you applied via undergrad or grad? Also what did you score in UKCAT? sorry for all the questions :')
bobby147
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did your friends actually get into medicine and dentistry courses or did they simply apply ?
Jam Jam24
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DBord)
Im sitting my UKCAT next month and I'm pretty terrified hahah. Can I ask what uni you're going to for med and if you applied via undergrad or grad? Also what did you score in UKCAT? sorry for all the questions :'
Good luck with that! Glasgow undergrad. Simply because there's roughly a 1 in 4 chance at interview whereas for grad entry it can be 1 in 8. UKCAT was 697.

If you really enjoy lab work you should go for stp or research associate posts. After my dissertation i just felt that labs werent for me. Some people even go onto business, law conversion courses or banking too!
Jam Jam24
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bobby147)
Did your friends actually get into medicine and dentistry courses or did they simply apply ?
They applied and all got in. you need a 2:1 which is not too difficult to achieve
DBord
Rep:
?
Good luck with that! Glasgow undergrad. Simply because there's roughly a 1 in 4 chance at interview whereas for grad entry it can be 1 in 8. UKCAT was 697.

If you really enjoy lab work you should go for stp or research associate posts. After my dissertation i just felt that labs werent for me. Some people even go onto business, law conversion courses or banking too!
Yeah undergrad makes sense! Congratulations though I hope you enjoy medicine. I guess conversion courses are worth looking at too, thank you!
Jam Jam24
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DBord)
Yeah undergrad makes sense! Congratulations though I hope you enjoy medicine. I guess conversion courses are worth looking at too, thank you!
Thank you, looking forward to it! If you want any help or advice with ukcat/interviews feel free to ask good luck!
DBord
Rep:
?
Thank you, looking forward to it! If you want any help or advice with ukcat/interviews feel free to ask good luck!
Do you by any chance have any advice/tips for the QR section? Its what I struggle with the most and honestly I don't know how to approach it Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jam Jam24
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DBord)
Do you by any chance have any advice/tips for the QR section? Its what I struggle with the most and honestly I don't know how to approach it Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
QR was my best section actually, i got 850 or something. What I did was to read about 75% of the questions thoroughly and make sure that I answer them correctly. The remainder of qs i made an educated guess.

I used 1000 questions book by Picard to practice (although the QR section on here is more difficult than the real thing). I also used 1200 questions book by David Salt (the qs on here are very easy, but it allowed me to work out things quickly). I also used medify a bit for a week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads