The Student Room Group

is my car brake in need for a change?

I went to the mechanic and he told me my brake pad and the disc needs a replacement but based on what i see it seems ok, i have no problems with the brake whatsoever

http://i.imgur.com/ImRM98L.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vO9M6d1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Vf6QvnP.jpg

Anyone can have a look and tell me if its the brake pad and disc is already damaged?
Reply 1
Moved to cars and motoring

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by HucktheForde
I went to the mechanic and he told me my brake pad and the disc needs a replacement but based on what i see it seems ok, i have no problems with the brake whatsoever

Anyone can have a look and tell me if its the brake pad and disc is already damaged?

I'm going to hazard a guess you've just had a service? In most cases, when the mechanic sees that a brake pad is worn enough to be at the end of its life before the next scheduled service, they will recommend a replacement. Without a set of callipers and the specification it's hard to say, but that pad looks about 75% worn - I'd be replacing them shortly.

Discs are another story, as your photo isn't really good enough to tell. If they're becoming worn and pitted, they should be replaced. If this is a decent mechanic, I'd trust his judgement.
I replaced the rear brakes pads & discs on my previous car - mk2 focus sport 1.8 TDCI 2006. total; cost was about £43 as I fitted them myself after watching a video on YouTube and it was quite easy and I have no mechanical experience or training
Reply 4
Original post by Cleverboy1991
I replaced the rear brakes pads & discs on my previous car - mk2 focus sport 1.8 TDCI 2006. total; cost was about £43 as I fitted them myself after watching a video on YouTube and it was quite easy and I have no mechanical experience or training

What sort of cheapo parts did you put on your car?! £43 for pads AND discs?!
(edited 6 years ago)
i have no problems with the brake whatsoever

Because worn brakes is not something that causes problems. At some point it just refuses to work when your discs break, calipers jam, or pads vanish, and then there is a chance that you die.

These things don't get damaged. They just get too thin.
Reply 6
Original post by PTMalewski
These things don't get damaged. They just get too thin.

What about warping and pitting?
Original post by IWMTom

EbayUK

may have been cheap but they did seem alright
Original post by IWMTom
What about warping and pitting?

He doesn't need to know that. When his car starts shaking when braking, he'll know where to run and ask for repair.
Reply 9
Original post by Cleverboy1991
EbayUK

may have been cheap but they did seem alright

Oh good lord... trusting your life to a dodgy seller on eBay...

He doesn't need to know that. When his car starts shaking when braking, he'll know where to run and ask for repair.

True, true :')

pads could do with a change but you could hold on to them maybe upto 3 months depending on breaking. disks looks fine. rusty if anything. what sort of price od they want for the job. i work in a garage so ill let u know whether hes ripping u off or not.

The pictures aren't good enough to tell for the discs, but the pads look like they needed to be replaced (they have some life left, but it's not worth leaving longer IMO). I assume that this has already been done, since the parts aren't on the car. Is the issue the cost? If they've given you the old parts, I doubt that they've replaced discs that didn't need it.

For many cars, the parts are so cheap that I would change them early. Frankly, if the discs are cheap enough, I'd change them with the pads even if they're not in bad condition - the additional labour is minimal. I've just done all (4) disks and pads on my Jetta for under $100 in parts (and they weren't the cheapest).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
Oh good lord... trusting your life to a dodgy seller on eBay...

True, true :':wink:

I fitted them myself actually and there was nowt dodgy about it
Reply 13
Original post by RogerOxon
The pictures aren't good enough to tell for the discs, but the pads look like they needed to be replaced. I assume that this has already been done, since the parts aren't on the car. Is the issue the cost?

For many cars, the parts are so cheap that I would change then early. Frankly, if the disks are cheap enough, I'd change them with the pads even if they're not in bad condition. I've just done all disks and pads on my Jetta for under $100 in parts (and they weren't the cheapest).

Good advice.

From what I understand, if this repair was part of a scheduled service, the mechanic will make a judgement as to whether the pads and discs will be in good condition come the next service (usually 12 months away). The mechanic won't recommend only changing the pads if the discs will need doing in 6 months time, given the pads would have to be replaced again.

It's more cost effective to do some preventative maintenance like you suggest.
Original post by IWMTom

I've found a new set for 27 pounds... It's just some steel and composite... If the discs are not broken, and pads fit calipers, they should work. They probably don't perform too well, like the pads maybe more vulnerable to overheating, and discs more vulnerable to warping after some time but why should we care that much? Just drive slower, and keep a distance to other cars accordingly to a good feeling of your car's abilities.

Modern cars are overperforming, there is 0 chance to overheat the brakes in normal driving (exept for unskilled driving on mountain roads). I know what I'm saying, for the first time it took me two hours of driving on track to burn pads and boil the brake liquid.

Speaking of the rest. The top and the hub of discs always gets rusty very quickly because its not protected by any sort of anti-corrosive paint. Only the sides should be clean
However we can clearly see that the disc on the photo is unevenly worn- that is rather normal, the measurments should tell us what is the actual fatigue. Roughly I would say the disc is on the edge. It may survive another 10k miles, or may not, depending on actual thickness and conditions.

Original post by IWMTom
Good advice.

From what I understand, if this repair was part of a scheduled service, the mechanic will make a judgement as to whether the pads and discs will be in good condition come the next service (usually 12 months away). The mechanic won't recommend only changing the pads if the discs will need doing in 6 months time, given the pads would have to be replaced again.

From my experience, mechanics will reccomend anything, depending on their dishonesty, sillisness or incompetence.

I have to repair my cars 50% of the time after getting them back from workshops.
Including factory services. I don't know, maybe in UK it's different, however you have lots of immigrants from all around the world, so it's just impossible to say what to expect.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
I've found a new set for 27 pounds...

From my experience, mechanics will reccomend anything, depending on their dishonesty, sillisness or incompetence.

I have to repair my cars 50% of the time after getting them back from workshops.
Including factory services. I don't know, maybe in UK it's different, however you have lots of immigrants from all around the world, so it's just impossible to say what to expect.

27 quid for two discs and a set of pads?! Now come on, that is absolutely absurd.

Yes, some garages will look for work when no work needs doing, but often during annual services, recommendations are made in the presumption that no mechanic will see that car again for another 12 months. They have a duty of care to make sure that car is going to make it to the next service as best they can.
Original post by IWMTom
27 quid for two discs and a set of pads?! Now come on, that is absolutely absurd.

Not exactly.
Central European manufacturers can make a profit from producing two 240mm discs and selling them for 24 pounds- I'm speaking of high quality discs for my car, tested by guys from a club of my car's model.
I guess the Ford has small, not ventilled rear discs, so the cost should be similar. He probably bough some far east low quality parts, or from a closed shop sale (or both).
A set of original rear pads for Focus II cost 17-20 pounds, so...

Original post by IWMTom

Yes, some garages will look for work when no work needs doing, but often during annual services, recommendations are made in the presumption that no mechanic will see that car again for another 12 months. They have a duty of care to make sure that car is going to make it to the next service as best they can.

Exactly, that is what they should be doing. But I wouldn't put my life or money on their work. If I wasn't repairing exactly the same thing they were paid to repair, I would have rusty bodywork, blown head gasket, madly jumping rmps, ripped off wheel, and no brakes at all, just in three years...
The last time, I asked for service of brakes. The next day, the car failed MOT because of rear brakes not working at all...
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending