The Student Room Group
Original post by mughushed
As in: if I don't get the grades needed for my firm choice but have perhaps only missed it by one grade, is it possible to call up my firm uni and persuade them to accept me anyway?
Fwiw, we had to submit a portfolio for this course too, so they have based offers on more than just grades which I think hopefully is advantageous for me

Nope you will be wasting your time. They will consider your case before rejecting you.
As in: if I don't get the grades needed for my firm choice but have perhaps only missed it by one grade, is it possible to call up my firm uni and persuade them to accept me anyway?
Fwiw, we had to submit a portfolio for this course too, so they have based offers on more than just grades which I think hopefully is advantageous for me

Even if you miss your grades they may still decide to confirm your place.
You can of course call them but they will already have very carefully reviewed your application and if they have decided not to take you or offer you an alternative course, it's very unlikely they will change their minds.

Don't panic, there will be other good options available elsewhere if you need them and if you can't find the perfect choice than a gap year out can be a very positive thing.

Hey,

As the other posters have said, your application will be reviewed before they accept/decline your entry to the course, so If you did ring them up, I can't see that they would change their decision. There are lots of other courses you could take a look at - and clearing would be your best option if you did by any chance, miss the grades.

However, try not to panic too much and don't doubt yourself!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 4

The first thing you must do is check Track. It's possible they will accept you anyway, and if so Track will show this. If Track has updated to say you're in or that you're rejected, you must not call the uni - that's final. The only reason to call the uni in this case would be if you had extenuating circumstances and didn't tell them.

If Track hasn't updated, then you can all the uni. Ask if they need any further information, and ask when they will make a decision. But you're not persuading them to accept you as such.

No you really can't once your rejected thats it it's done it over even if the course is in clearing you won't be going there. Saying that many people miss their offer and still get in good luck for Thursday.
Your application is reviewed before being accepted/rejected, there's no point in ringing them again once a decision has been made.

However, they review your application meaning if you're good enough all-round and show exceptional capabilities, not necessarily in the academic verse, relating to your subject of choice (i.e significant contributions), then they may well accept you even if you don't quite have the grades, they may be slightly more lenient (depending on uni and degree of choice) as it's only 1 grade down and it's 1 subject, and isn't the most relevant subject for the degree.

But don't call them again if they reject you already, that's wasting valuable clearing time.
Reply 7

I missed my offer for Law at SOAS, and still got in. What I did, was calling them up on results day, and asking them what I should expect. Then the woman on the other side of the line said that if I son't get in, then there's still chance for me through Clearing for another course, and if I wanted, they can put a note next to my application, so that if I'm not accepted for Law, they will consider me automatically for another course that I would've wanted.
Then she told me that since I missed my offer, they'll put my application next to all the others that have missed their offers, and decide on them on a case-by-case basis, and get back to me as soon as possible.
Then, I called them like every 3 days :biggrin:D I don't think that was a good idea tho. You can't really perusade them to take you, if they want to, they will take you, and if they don't want to, they won't. But I wanted to tell you "my story" so that you can see that there is still a chance, even if you miss your offer. Good luck!

If you did not get the accepted grade for your Firm Choice, you can still call up the university and see if they can offer you a place via Clearing. There is a good possibility you will get through. Thus, it is advisable you call up and enquire with the university. We strongly recommend it. Good Luck!!!!
Original post by Annie881
I missed my offer for Law at SOAS, and still got in. What I did, was calling them up on results day, and asking them what I should expect. Then the woman on the other side of the line said that if I son't get in, then there's still chance for me through Clearing for another course, and if I wanted, they can put a note next to my application, so that if I'm not accepted for Law, they will consider me automatically for another course that I would've wanted.
Then she told me that since I missed my offer, they'll put my application next to all the others that have missed their offers, and decide on them on a case-by-case basis, and get back to me as soon as possible.
Then, I called them like every 3 days :biggrin:D I don't think that was a good idea tho. You can't really perusade them to take you, if they want to, they will take you, and if they don't want to, they won't. But I wanted to tell you "my story" so that you can see that there is still a chance, even if you miss your offer. Good luck!

By how much did you miss our offer requirements? Were you 1 grade or 2 grades short?