Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did everyone else get the note about having the meningitus C jab before you come?

ReputationRep:
    I got the jab for all 3/4 kinds. Get that vac, as you never know which meningitis will appear. It would be highly ironic if you only got vaccinated agaginst one strain, and end up contracting another.

ReputationRep:
    do other jabs exist? i thought it was only C that had a vaccine, and that's why people are only vaccinated against meningitis C?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessa)
    do other jabs exist? i thought it was only C that had a vaccine, and that's why people are only vaccinated against meningitis C?
    same here I thought only C existed....

Anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    from www.meningitis-trus.org:

Meningococcal - most UK disease is caused by groups B and C. Several combined vaccines have been available for some years (groups A & C vaccine and groups A, C, W135 and Y vaccine). They are recommended for people travelling to areas of the world where these groups are common. They are ineffective in children under 18 months of age and provide short-term protection (around 3 years) in older children and adults. A more effective vaccine for Group C, which gives long-term protection, is given as part of the UK immunisation programme. The number of cases of Group C disease have fallen rapidly. This vaccine gives protection only against Group C.

Effective vaccines for Group B are still some years away.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I got that letter. I had the jab 3/4 years ago though.

ReputationRep:
    There you go... 4 different strains, but if the UK gov only says you need one, then just go get one.... OR.. get all 4 if you plan to travel and live in student hostels.

ReputationRep:
    just had mine today,lol. i hate jabs.

ReputationRep:
    You can always get jabs done at the health centre when you get there. There's always a big drive at schools and unis during the first few weeks of the new academic year to get everyone vaccinated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    You can always get jabs done at the health centre when you get there. There's always a big drive at schools and unis during the first few weeks of the new academic year to get everyone vaccinated.
    Hmmm, well the note suggested getting it done at your local doc, because there'd be too many people to immunize and you wouldn't be covered in the first few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, got the letter but pretty sure I've already had it done.

ReputationRep:
    i got d letter too...but no idea if i've had it done yet. is it d jab u get in yr 8 at school?

ReputationRep:
    LOL..probably not... not many governments make a meningitis jab mandatory!!

ReputationRep:
    You may have had the MenC jab at school. The best thing to do is to ring ur GP's practice, local health authority or school. Unfortunately if you had it a school it may not be on ur GP's notes but that varies. They normally jab people at the beginning of school years but they also did TB jabs and stuff too so that kinda confuses things.

ReputationRep:
    Injection? When I was small I got a vaccine; they spiked me in the ass. Not pleasant at all.

ReputationRep:
    From what I understand in 2000 everyone in my school had to have the meningitus C lifetime jab (apart from the special cases), and i'm wondering if this applied to loads of other schools too? I think this was some sort of government scheme then but they seem to have ditched it since!

ReputationRep:
    i remember getting the meningitus C jab at school... i think i was in yr 10 then.... but it wasn't as bad a the tb jab.. still have a scar from where the nurse missed the first time eek !

ReputationRep:
    I did, I was in Leeds at the time, everyone in Derby I know had it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    From what I understand in 2000 everyone in my school had to have the meningitus C lifetime jab (apart from the special cases), and i'm wondering if this applied to loads of other schools too? I think this was some sort of government scheme then but they seem to have ditched it since!
    My school had it too. Everyone in my year and above walked around glaring at people that bumped into their arms for weeks afterwards. We don't need a top up do we? (for the other strains...do they even exist?)

ReputationRep:
    Your meningitis jab hurt? When I took mine, my arm was back to normal almost immediately afterwards, and didn't hurt at all!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.