The Student Room Group

Is it worth going for a remark if i was only a few marks off a A grade

Is it worth me going through with a remark as I have a university place on the line and i know some students have had remarks go down drastically from their initial grade ?
You can now request to download your exam script, so just look at that and see if it deserves a remark before actually getting it remarked
Original post by jacklee123
Is it worth me going through with a remark as I have a university place on the line and i know some students have had remarks go down drastically from their initial grade ?

Hi
Is this for an SQA exam?

Original post by Titan Gainz
You can now request to download your exam script, so just look at that and see if it deserves a remark before actually getting it remarked

You would need to find out which exams OP is talking about first- if they are talking about SQA exams (which received their results last Tuesday), then that is not possible, as the papers are exempt from freedom of information requests :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Labrador99
You would need to find out which exams OP is talking about first- if they are talking about SQA exams (which received their results last Tuesday), then that is not possible, as the papers are exempt from freedom of information requests :smile:

it is a SQA exam
it is a SQA exam

So, how close to an A are you, and what subject is it? Do you need this grade for university?
Well in that case you might as well get it remarked, because if you don't then you won't get your uni place and if you do and it goes down you still don't get your uni place but if it goes up then you do. So the only way to get your uni place is to get it remarked, so the logical option would be to get it remarked because even if it goes down your situation wouldn't have changed anyways.

And for it to go down by an entire grade is pretty rare for some subjects, may I ask which subject this is regarding?
Reply 6
So, how close to an A are you, and what subject is it? Do you need this grade for university?

mathematics and 4 marks of a A and yes i do for my firm choice university
Reply 7
Original post by Titan Gainz
Well in that case you might as well get it remarked, because if you don't then you won't get your uni place and if you do and it goes down you still don't get your uni place but if it goes up then you do. So the only way to get your uni place is to get it remarked, so the logical option would be to get it remarked because even if it goes down your situation wouldn't have changed anyways.

And for it to go down by an entire grade is pretty rare for some subjects, may I ask which subject this is regarding?

i think ill go for it its just the worry incase i the mark goes down drastically and i end up with a worse grade but i think i may go for it and this is regarding maths
mathematics and 4 marks of a A and yes i do for my firm choice university

In that case, I think you are as well going for it- you should contact your school ASAP and ask for a priority marking review. However, please do not get your hopes up- most remarks come back unchanged (I think for something like maths, where there is no room for the mark being a bit subjective, like you might have when marking essay based subjects, it is especially unlikely that it will come back changed). It is very unlikely, though not impossible, that your grade will be moved down, however, as I said, it is most likely to remain unchanged, as 4 marks is quite a lot to be marked incorrectly first time round.
Priority marking reviews are for candidates whose uni admission depends on it- this must be submitted by your school by this Friday and you will hear the outcome by 28th August. It would also be a good idea to keep your firm uni in the loop about what's happening. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 9
In that case, I think you are as well going for it- you should contact your school ASAP and ask for a priority marking review. However, please do not get your hopes up- most remarks come back unchanged (I think for something like maths, where there is no room for the mark being a bit subjective, like you might have when marking essay based subjects, it is especially unlikely that it will come back changed). It is very unlikely, though not impossible, that your grade will be moved down, however, as I said, it is most likely to remain unchanged, as 4 marks is quite a lot to be marked incorrectly first time round.
Priority marking reviews are for candidates whose uni admission depends on it- this must be submitted by your school by this Friday and you will hear the outcome by 28th August. It would also be a good idea to keep your firm uni in the loop about what's happening. Best of luck :smile:

thankyou i will go for it and see what happens the worst comes to worst it doesnt change but id like to know as a fellow maths student got a B by a remark of 3 marks last year and so it may happen to me although i do know their is a slim chance of happening to me and will i contact my insurance choice or will i only contact them if i wasnt to get my firm choice place ?
Reply 10
thankyou i will go for it and see what happens the worst comes to worst it doesnt change but id like to know as a fellow maths student got a B by a remark of 3 marks last year and so it may happen to me although i do know their is a slim chance of happening to me and will i contact my insurance choice or will i only contact them if i wasnt to get my firm choice place ?

As if my grade was to move down i may miss out on my insurance ?

I think you should contact both to be on the safe side, but make sure your school have confirmed they will be submitting one for you first :smile:
Reply 12
I think you should contact both to be on the safe side, but make sure your school have confirmed they will be submitting one for you first :smile:

i have spoke to them previously and they said they were happy to do so if i wanted to as it is for a uni place and it is 4 marks i just was unsure and didnt know if i should as i could loose out on my insurance place if my grade was to move down
Go for it if you want! If you're at the top end of a B grade, the worst that could happen is that it stays a B grade, you can only gain from here. If you were at the bottom end of a B grade I wouldn't have advised it because you don't want to risk dropping off.
Reply 14
Original post by AryanGh
Go for it if you want! If you're at the top end of a B grade, the worst that could happen is that it stays a B grade, you can only gain from here. If you were at the bottom end of a B grade I wouldn't have advised it because you don't want to risk dropping off.

i think i may just go for it i just was nervous and unsure incase the grade was to drop down to a C and id miss out on my insurance choice
i have spoke to them previously and they said they were happy to do so if i wanted to as it is for a uni place and it is 4 marks i just was unsure and didnt know if i should as i could loose out on my insurance place if my grade was to move down

Ultimately it's up to you what you do, but whatever you decide, hope it works out and you get to uni :smile:
Reply 16
Ultimately it's up to you what you do, but whatever you decide, hope it works out and you get to uni :smile:

thankyou for the help :smile: i think i will just go for it ill regret it if i dont :smile:
thankyou for the help :smile: i think i will just go for it ill regret it if i dont :smile:

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending