The Student Room Group

School removes gay students quotes from yearbook

'Joey Slavinsky and Thomas Swartz, graduates of Kearney High School in Nebraska, submitted their senior quotes before graduation just like all the rest of their friends.
But for some reason, the school removed them'

The school did not tell the two openly gay students that they would be removing their quotes, and instead left the space below their pictures blank.The 'offensive' quotes?

‘Of course I dress well. I didn’t spend all that time in the closet for nothing.’

‘If Harry Potter taught us anything, it’s that no one should have to live in the closet.’

The principal has since apologised and admitted that the school made a mistake.

What do y'all think of this story? Do you agree with the school's original decision? Did they make a mistake? Let me know!

Scroll to see replies

Its all rather sad. I imagine they were removed over fears they may ben seen to be promoting being gay. As if future readers may somehow become infected.

Very sad.
Homophobia is Nebraska, who could have known.
They're not even terrible quotes...
They're perfectly harmless quotes, so I think it's pretty terrible for them to have been removed :erm:
I agree and welcome back you straight up legend.
... Are you being serious?
Why are their YEARBOOK quotes surrounding their sex lives? Weird and disgusting.

You didn't see any of the straight peers saying little sexual innuendos about their sex lives, did you. But when a gay says offensive stuff it's ok otherwise "homophobia?" And why is this news? Also, just because you're gay and "out" it doesn't mean you now have the carte blanche license to wield it around in total disregard of other people's beliefs, since that is hypocritical of this group of people who wants their beliefs to be respected.

I totally agree with getting rid of those disgusting inappropriate attention seeking quotes. But I do think to prevent any whinging that they shouldve just had them resubmit another quote just so something is there, or just put a template quote FOR them like "Congrats Class of 2017!" or "I leave with great memories" or something.
Even if that were true, I would hardly call either of those quotes rampant?
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Why do gay people flaunt their gayness? Why are their YEARBOOK quotes surrounding their sex lives? Weird and disgusting.

You didn't see any of the straight peers saying little sexual innuendos about their sex lives, did you. But when a gay says offensive stuff it's ok otherwise "homophobia?" And why is this news? Also, just because you're gay and "out" it doesn't mean you now have the carte blanche license to wield it around in total disregard of other people's beliefs, since that is hypocritical of this group of people who wants their beliefs to be respected.

I totally agree with getting rid of those disgusting inappropriate attention seeking quotes. But I do think to prevent any whinging that they shouldve just had them resubmit another quote just so something is there, or just put a template quote FOR them like "Congrats Class of 2017!" or "I leave with great memories" or something.

Why do you think that has anything to do with their sex lives? The quotes are encouraging people to be comfortable with their sexuality, nothing more, nothing less. It's not comparable to the straight peers example you've given either, as it's nothing remotely to do with their sex lives.
:yy: lol

Original post by shadowdweller
Why do you think that has anything to do with their sex lives?

Original post by shadowdweller
The quotes are encouraging people to be comfortable with their sexuality.

Anything else?
Anything else?

I mean, exactly what I said before, really. Sexuality isn't purely about sex, it's also about romantic relationships etc, and those posts had nothing to do with the physical act, so they're hardly inappropriate :holmes:
Why are their YEARBOOK quotes surrounding their sex lives? Weird and disgusting.

A reference to being in or out of the closet is not a sexual innuendo, just making a point about not hiding your sexuality. It says absolutely nothing about their sex lives other than orientation.
is it just me or is tsr becoming filled with more conservative edgelords? keep seeing so much blatant homophobia and xenophobia, and from users with a lot of rep too
Original post by luckystars
is it just me or is tsr becoming filled with more conservative edgelords? keep seeing so much blatant homophobia and xenophobia, and from users with a lot of rep too

homophobia, NOPE not really seeing that much
xenophobia YEP but it's kinda always been that way - people are always on about Muslims, Jews and Blacks.
They're just trolls, ignore them. Their opinions mean nothing
Original post by xxVENUSx
They're just trolls, ignore them. Their opinions mean nothing

You state that like it's a fact but it really isn't...

Something like "Bang Outta Order is a total homophobic degenerate piece of ****"?

Hope you catch the gay :wink:
Original post by luckystars

It is certainly being undermined by such people, yes.
'Tis wrong that they removed it imo. Also, the quotes made me spit piping-hot coffee all over my freshly cleaned desk and my disrobed nether regions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending