pit10
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am looking to study for a degree in the next few years and need to understand my position in regards to student finance.

I will be 56 when I start

Having studied part time from 1980 to 1985 financed by BT I obtained a HNC in telecommunications.

Will I be eligible for my tuition fees and full maintenance loans for the duration of a three year degree course . I will not be working for the duration of the degree

Thanks
Laura S SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi pit10,

If you are looking to start a three year full time degree course if the course you want to do was previously an eligible NHS funded course in a healthcare related subject then you would be able to apply for full Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) and means tested Maintenance Loan (ML). These courses are exception courses and we would not take into account your previous part time study.

If however you are not doing an eligible NHS course then we would assess your funding for your new course based on the length of the course plus one additional year so that would be four years funding and we take off the number of years for your part time previous study for your HNC which would be five years. (4-5=-1).

This means that you wouldn't get any Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) support if your course is not an eligible NHS course. You would be able to apply for means tested ML funding and supplementary grants if applicable such as Parents' Learning Allowances (PLA), Childcare Grant (CCG), Adult Dependants' Grant (ADG) or Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs).

Thanks
pit10
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=Laura S SFE;73194662]Hi pit10,

If you are looking to start a three year full time degree course if the course you want to do was previously an eligible NHS funded course in a healthcare related subject then you would be able to apply for full Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) and means tested Maintenance Loan (ML). These courses are exception courses and we would not take into account your previous part time study.

If however you are not doing an eligible NHS course then we would assess your funding for your new course based on the length of the course plus one additional year so that would be four years funding and we take off the number of years for your part time previous study for your HNC which would be five years. (4-5=-1).

This means that you wouldn't get any Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) support if your course is not an eligible NHS course. You would be able to apply for means tested ML funding and supplementary grants if applicable such as Parents' Learning Allowances (PLA), Childcare Grant (CCG), Adult Dependants' Grant (ADG) or Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs).
Hi
I completed my HNC in 5 blocks of 6 weeks over 5 years ,6weeks per year. does that equate to five years of study ?

Thx
pit10
Rep:
?
Hi
Not sure if the last post went

I completed my HNC in 5 blocks of 6 weeks over 5 years ,6weeks per year. does that equate to five years of study ?

Thx
pit10
Rep:
?
Hi Also with regard to your reply 3 of the 5 years was studying for the national certificate (which I think was equivalent to A levels) so should these be counted ? Thx
Louise E SFE
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pit10)
Hi Also with regard to your reply 3 of the 5 years was studying for the national certificate (which I think was equivalent to A levels) so should these be counted ? Thx
Hi pit10 ,

In order for us to determine your eligibility for funding for a 3 year degree course , We would need to consider some additional information , we would have to know what course and subject that you wish to study and also if your previous study was a Higher qualification (HNC ) or a national certificate which is classed as a further qualification.

Thanks
pit10
Rep:
?
Hi The subject is likely to be psychology but i have yet to choose the exact 3 year degree as i need to get the finance confirmed first and 2019 probably the earliest I could start.I studied 3 years part time for a national certificate (1980-83)and one possibly 2 years part time for the HNC (long time ago i know the HNC is a one year cource) paid for by BT (was a BT apprentice)Hope that helpsThx
Stuart SFE
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pit10)
Hi The subject is likely to be psychology but i have yet to choose the exact 3 year degree as i need to get the finance confirmed first and 2019 probably the earliest I could start.I studied 3 years part time for a national certificate (1980-83)and one possibly 2 years part time for the HNC (long time ago i know the HNC is a one year cource) paid for by BT (was a BT apprentice)Hope that helpsThx
Hi pit10,

We wouldn't take the time spent on the National Certificate course into account as that is a further education course. The 2 years on the HNC course would affect your entitlement.

We look at the ordinary duration of the course you want to do, add an additional year of funding and then subtract years of previous study. Your calculation would be:

3+1-2 = 2 years entitlement.

The remaining entitlement will be applied to the final years of the course. This means in year 1 you would be eligible for Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants only.

Thanks,
Stuart
Ulala21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
HiMay i ask on the side, if i am 25 (does that count as a mature student?), have done Biochemistry degree 3 years ago (graduated 2014) and now i am going to study dentistry (5 years), would i really not be eligible for any tution fees help from student finance or anywhere else? i would not get any help from anybody, ie. parents or family. I would greatly appreciate any ideas/help!thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise