BIOCHEMISTRY DEGREE ( need some advice) CANT DECIDE WHAT TO DO Watch

Qer
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
i can't decide biochemistry is good for me or not...i am questioning after doing lot of research on google and student room

my ALEVELS are biology, chemistry, and maths
i am starting year 13 after summer holidays
personally, i enjoyed biology more than chemistry .....and i have less interest in chemistry and dont want to do a course that more based on chemistry ,BUT I ALSO ENJOYED CHEMISTRY STUFF in biology content as in protein , dna etc

so i am thinking that biochemistry have more biology and chemitry in ciology content

a) is biochemistry is more closely related to biology or chemistry?
i looked these on uni websites and i think that it is more biology and less chemistry....
but in some forms on here people mentioned that it is more chemistry , less biology
so need clarification here
b) what can i do with this degree next ie in which field can i go further
c)i am confused in these 3 degrees
biology , biochemistry and biomedical
as they all actually same i think
biology deals with human physiology, ecology, plants ,evolution,molecule ,genetics, ....
biomedical:
Biomedical Science mostly involves study of human biology as well as the study of viruses, bacteria and other life forms which influence the human body. There is only a small amount of study related to plant biology
biochemistry include cell biology, genetics and dna , structure and function protein , microbiology....etc
(all these things i found on internet )

so all these 3 degrees are overlapping each other so i cant decide what is best for me
i am doing aqa biology
in year 12 we studied
BIOLOGICAL MOLECULE
CELL
GASEOUS EXCHANGE
GENETICS
in year 12 i like every thing except gaseous exchange stuff..as biology molecule ,cell and genetics are more related to each other than gaseous exchange

THANKS
uka_qwer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
im going into year 13 also and i am looking to study biochemistry. I have heard it is more biology and it is good if you want to do a career in research later
Qer
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by uka_qwer)
im going into year 13 also and i am looking to study biochemistry. I have heard it is more biology and it is good if you want to do a career in research later
IF I DONT WANT TO RESEARCH LATER?
what are other options after having biochemistry degree
PeteM01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There is no single 'Biochemistry' course, and all departments will have different levels of chemistry, animal and plant biology, genetics, etc, etc. This will be further complicated by module choices throughout your degree.

You need to attend a few university Open Days, visit the relevant departments and ask a similar set of questions to academics in each one.

Biochemistry, Biology and Biomedical Science degrees will all be useful starting points for a research career, if that is your intention. It is also possible to make quite big 'jumps' between biological sciences by taking an appropriate MSc later.
Qer
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by PeteM01)
There is no single 'Biochemistry' course, and all departments will have different levels of chemistry, animal and plant biology, genetics, etc, etc. This will be further complicated by module choices throughout your degree.

You need to attend a few university Open Days, visit the relevant departments and ask a similar set of questions to academics in each one.

Biochemistry, Biology and Biomedical Science degrees will all be useful starting points for a research career, if that is your intention. It is also possible to make quite big 'jumps' between biological sciences by taking an appropriate MSc later.
i am thinking to do biochemistry bsc for 3 years then will do MSc biochemistry (1 year)
can you tell me about research career ( i dont know about research career)
thanks
PeteM01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Qer)
i am thinking to do biochemistry bsc for 3 years then will do MSc biochemistry (1 year)
can you tell me about research career ( i dont know about research career)
thanks
Look here:
https://www.biochemistry.org/Education/Careers.aspx
Qer
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
thanks
that's an amazing resource

i got a question
if i want to do research career then i have t o Phd in biochemistry?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Material Futures Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of Brighton
    Health and clinical practice + health professions + hospitality, tourism and events + journalism + sport and exercise Postgraduate
    Tue, 26 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (94)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (67)
10.58%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.53%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.53%
No (440)
69.51%

Watched Threads