The Student Room Group

Returning to uni after dropping out and travelling for 3 years

I am having an absolute nightmare finding out if I'm going to be able to secure any funding if I'm successful in re-applying for uni - and I'm hoping someone on here might be able to clear things up for me.

I'm from Scotland originally, finished School in 2009 and went straight to Uni to study English - but dropped out - and then went to study at criminology at Stirling - but dropped out again.

Basically I was far too young and immature to go to Uni at such a young age - I was one of the youngest in my year at school and had only just turned 18 when I went the first time - I made loads of mistakes and stupid decisions and it's made a huge difference to the options I have available to me now that I'm older.

After dropping out the second time - I moved to england where I worked for about 2 and a half years before going travelling. I spent 2 years in Australia, then about 10 months in New Zealand - and now I'm back in the Uk and have been since April.

Truth be told - I'm absolutely sick of working in dead end, low paid, temporary contracts at call centers - and because that's the only work experience I have I'm pretty much condemned to a life on the phones. Over the last year or two I've been considering going back to study something that actually has some employment options available at the end of the degree - and I've settled on getting into Civil Engineering. I've found the perfect course at UWE in Bristol - which has a foundation year to get the necessary maths and physics experience needed to do the course (I never took maths or physics when I did my highers, however got really good grades in both at Standard grade level).

The issue I'm having is that if I cannot get funding to cover even just my tuition fees - I'm not going to be able to return to studying - as I certainly don't have $9K to put down every year on my own.

I've tried to get an answer from both SFE and from SAAS - but they keep contradicting each other. SAAS have told me that because I now live in England I need to apply through SFE, and they wouldn't tell me if I'd get funding after living overseas - they just refused to answer. SFE tell me that because I'm Scottish I need to apply through SAAS, and again refuse to answer.

Basically, I'm going mad. I can't get a straight answer from anyone and all I'm trying to figure out is;

Can I get funding for a course from SFE if I've dropped out twice before, and was getting funding through SAAS at that time?

Is the fact that I lived overseas in Australia going to stop me getting funding?

Basically, am I completely wasting my time with this?

I just want to do something that means I can get a decent job in an industry that's always interested me. I'm desperate to get back into studying and make my life a bit easier in the long term - even if the next four years are going to be really tough. I'm just hoping that all the mistakes and stupidity from when I was 18/19 isn't going to totally screw me over now that I'm ready to work hard and get a bit further in life.

If anyone has any idea on how to move forward with this it would be much appreciated - as I'm starting to get a few grey hairs on my head from the stress of this whole endeavor!
Original post by pirret1
I am having an absolute nightmare finding out if I'm going to be able to secure any funding if I'm successful in re-applying for uni - and I'm hoping someone on here might be able to clear things up for me.

I'm from Scotland originally, finished School in 2009 and went straight to Uni to study English - but dropped out - and then went to study at criminology at Stirling - but dropped out again.

Basically I was far too young and immature to go to Uni at such a young age - I was one of the youngest in my year at school and had only just turned 18 when I went the first time - I made loads of mistakes and stupid decisions and it's made a huge difference to the options I have available to me now that I'm older.

After dropping out the second time - I moved to england where I worked for about 2 and a half years before going travelling. I spent 2 years in Australia, then about 10 months in New Zealand - and now I'm back in the Uk and have been since April.

Truth be told - I'm absolutely sick of working in dead end, low paid, temporary contracts at call centers - and because that's the only work experience I have I'm pretty much condemned to a life on the phones. Over the last year or two I've been considering going back to study something that actually has some employment options available at the end of the degree - and I've settled on getting into Civil Engineering. I've found the perfect course at UWE in Bristol - which has a foundation year to get the necessary maths and physics experience needed to do the course (I never took maths or physics when I did my highers, however got really good grades in both at Standard grade level).

The issue I'm having is that if I cannot get funding to cover even just my tuition fees - I'm not going to be able to return to studying - as I certainly don't have $9K to put down every year on my own.

I've tried to get an answer from both SFE and from SAAS - but they keep contradicting each other. SAAS have told me that because I now live in England I need to apply through SFE, and they wouldn't tell me if I'd get funding after living overseas - they just refused to answer. SFE tell me that because I'm Scottish I need to apply through SAAS, and again refuse to answer.

Basically, I'm going mad. I can't get a straight answer from anyone and all I'm trying to figure out is;

Can I get funding for a course from SFE if I've dropped out twice before, and was getting funding through SAAS at that time?

Is the fact that I lived overseas in Australia going to stop me getting funding?

Basically, am I completely wasting my time with this?

I just want to do something that means I can get a decent job in an industry that's always interested me. I'm desperate to get back into studying and make my life a bit easier in the long term - even if the next four years are going to be really tough. I'm just hoping that all the mistakes and stupidity from when I was 18/19 isn't going to totally screw me over now that I'm ready to work hard and get a bit further in life.

If anyone has any idea on how to move forward with this it would be much appreciated - as I'm starting to get a few grey hairs on my head from the stress of this whole endeavor!

Hi pirret1,
Previous study at the higher education level is considered when assessing student's entitlement to finance. The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study, any funding remaining will be awarded to the final years of the course
You have also advised that you have been overseas for 3 years, this would also have to be considered when assessing your eligibility for funding.Student Finance guidelines states that UK nationals Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 Years prior to the first day of the academic year of the course and be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the academic year of the course.
Depending on the circumstances you may be eligible to apply for Student Support if you have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break.
You would be asked to provide Evidence of this to show that the break in residency was of a temporary nature ,for example temporary visas or work permits.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest