Help with Politics and International Relations personal statement

Watch this thread
ludo.milne
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am applying to uni this year to do Politics and IR to LSE, Bristol, Exeter and a few others and I was wondering if some people who had applied/go to these unis doing the course could help me with what they wrote in their personal statement
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ludo.milne)
I am applying to uni this year to do Politics and IR to LSE, Bristol, Exeter and a few others and I was wondering if some people who had applied/go to these unis doing the course could help me with what they wrote in their personal statement
Both Bristol and LSE give detailed advice on what they look for in a PS
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ludo.milne)
There should be some LSE, Bristol, and Exeter PS' here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...nal_Statements
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...nal_Statements

:flute::fluffy:
Hildi
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hello! I got offers from Bristol and Exeter for Politics and International Relations (my firm is Cambridge and my insurance is Warwick), and I've been helping some younger students with their personal statements. So I can give some advice:

Do:
- Structure your personal statement into sections. I had an opening which set out the theme of my PS, which was what it was exactly about Pol/IR that I enjoyed and why they meant a lot to me. I had 3 paragraphs afterwards on background reading and my experiences (eg: participating in debating at school) and a final paragraph for conclusions

- Background reading. If you're applying to Exeter and Bristol you may be competing with Oxbridge-level personal statements anyway (the Oxbridge people could be intending to make these unis insurances) so you have to read around and show that you know a lot about your course. Political philosophy (eg: Plato's "Republic" ) is great for politics, and there are lots of new/interesting politics books which could be good (eg: "Saving Capitalism", "The Establishment" ) as well. The same goes for International Relations - I'd recommend "Prisoners of Geography", and I've heard that Kissinger's "Diplomacy" is good as well

- Include (relevant) extracurriculars or things you've done eg: participate in a school debate club on political topics, canvass for a political party or volunteer for a charity like Amnesty International. This and/or your background reading can be the bulk of your personal statement

- Talk about whatever it is you've done in depth, and don't be afraid to give your (political) opinions on it - so long as you have come to them in a thoughtful and rational way. The unis won't hate you for liking "The Communist Manifesto" or joining UKIP or the Conservatives, it's fine

Don't:

- Put in pretentious quotes, especially if they're really well known. If they're well-known, the chances are that other students will be using them too, making you seem unoriginal. I'd advise avoiding quotes altogether myself, unless you're desperate

- Use rhetorical questions, bad grammar, exclamation marks or anything else which is really informal

- Act like you're automatically qualified to pursue an IR course just because you know about another culture - like that's cool, but the key is to show how you've extended your knowledge even further and that this knowledge relates to your course. (I've been so annoyed by personal statements that act like having multiple expensive holidays in one place automatically gives them enough knowledge to do IR )

- Not read the books you've said you've read, but expect to be able to talk about them as convincingly as someone who has

- Make unfounded political assertions without evidence, or be close-minded
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (22)
31.88%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (26)
37.68%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (3)
4.35%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.35%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.8%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
13.04%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.45%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads