courtneywxxd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can anyone recommend a really good book? I just want to be able to sit with a book and be that intrigued that I can't put it down..I'm more into gothic novels
username3071756
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by courtneywxxd)
Can anyone recommend a really good book? I just want to be able to sit with a book and be that intrigued that I can't put it down..I'm more into gothic novels
I've recently read The Doll's house by M. J Arlidge . I really enjoyed it, it was confusing at first but so interesting that I finished it in 3 days
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Moved to Books, literature and comics.
username2981082
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by courtneywxxd)
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte reigns as one of the greatest gothic novels ever written and it is a classic in the gothic genre. Her sister Emily Bronte also wrote a gothic novel called Wuthering Heights. I personally prefer Jane Eyre even though Wuthering Heights is more popular.

The Turn of the Screw is a ghost story by American author Henry James. It is famous for its rather confusing ending where you don't really know what happened. It plays a lot with psychological themes.

Dracula by Bram Stoker is another famous gothic novel that is a good read.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley is good though I'm not sure if it is classed as a gothic novel.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde is an excellent read as well.
Quirky Object
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you haven't already read it, Lewis' The Monk is pretty much everything you'd want from a Gothic novel and is often cited as an inspiration for Poe's work. It's definitely one of my personal favourites from the genre.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (646)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (817)
42.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.61%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.51%

Watched Threads