V1244 - TV Licence Abolishment Bill 2017 Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (16)
34.78%
On the contrary, No (26)
56.52%
Abstain (4)
8.7%
This discussion is closed.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
V1244 - TV Licence Abolishment Bill 2017, Rt Hon mr T 999 MP, seconded by the TSR Libertarian Party

TV Licence Abolishment Bill

An act to abolish TV licence

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: For the purpose of this Act:-
(1) A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer.

2: Repeals
(1) Section 363 of the Communications Act 2003 is hereby repealed
(2) Section 364 of the Communications Act 2003 is hereby repealed
(3) Section 365 of the Communications Act 2003 is hereby repealed
(4) Section 366 of the Communications Act 2003 is hereby repealed
(5)Section 244 clause (7) of the Communications Act 2003 is hereby repealed
(6)Communications Television Licensing (Amendment) Regulations 2016 is hereby repealed

3: Enforcement
(1) BBC is no longer authorised to carry out surveillance using powers defined by the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
(2) BBC no longer has the role of TV licensing authority, TV licensing authority is hereby discontinued
(3) BBC and other public TV broadcasting stations shall be funded via advertisement
(i) All advertising on BBC commercial services must be legal. It must follow applicable advertising laws and regulations.

4: Commencement, Short title and Extent
(1) This Act may be cited as TV licence abolishment bill 2017
(2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom
(3) This Act comes into force upon royal assent

Changes for second reading:
Added section 2 clause (5)
Added section 3 clause (3) (i)

Notes

The TV license is unnecessary fee on households and it costs households up to £147. The government have announced the license fee will go up in line with inflation, making the license fee more expensive. There were 25.5 million television licences in force in 2015, raising £3.74 billion for the BBC at a collection cost of £101.4 million. The ONS estimate that in 2015 there were 27 million households, TV Licensing estimates that around 93% of homes and businesses are correctly licensed. BARB estimates that 95% of households have a television.

In the 2015 300,000 people were caught without a television licence. Watching TV without a valid licence is a criminal offence, although it is not a recordable offence that would result in a criminal record. The penalty is prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000. 10% of court cases in the country is related to television licensing, although most are dealt with procedurally, with 99% of cases resulting in a conviction. About 30 people a year are even imprisoned for non-payment of fines. People shouldn’t be imprisoned because they can’t afford to pay the license fee, the license fee prevents the poorest in society from accessing television. Many of whom including students rely on illegal streaming to watch TV. This bill puts £147 back into people’s pocket and benefits the poorest of society. The license fee essentially a TV tax is an unnecessary cost for households and broadcasting companies should not receive public funding.

There are private broadcasting companies who are able to fund themselves via commercials and be successful without public funding. Channel 4 is a state owned company like BBC and relies on self-funding via commercials, I don’t see why the BBC can’t do this and still make money. The licence fee currently allows the BBC services to remain free of advertisements and therefore it is independent of shareholder and political interest. There is some potential for political influence if the service is opened to commercial interests. Further, we already accept this of the newspapers and many other TV stations and the BBC tries to report non-bias news but to no avail. I see no reason why the BBC shouldn’t be allowed to have political bias.

Legislation and sections being repealed

Communications Act 2003
Television Licensing (Amendment) Regulations 2016

Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cran, an amended version without Section 3 clause (3), (ii) was sent to Rakas.

Please address this and please be aware that this is no longer a part of the bill when voting.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No thank you.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
#savetheBBC
Paracosm
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No ty
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, thank you!
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye, the BBC has become a bad joke. I'd be furious if I were forced to sponsor their racist discriminating policies and programmes that twist history into PC propaganda.
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
cranbrook_aspie could you change my vote from an aye to a no please?
TitanCream
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ayeeeeeeeeee
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
(Original post by frankielogue)
cranbrook_aspie could you change my vote from an aye to a no please?
One vote has been changed to a No.
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
One postal vote, a Aye, has been added for mrwb9876 who is proxying seat 39.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
One postal vote, a No, has been added for mrwb9876 who is proxying seat 39.
He voted Aye on this?
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saunders16)
He voted Aye on this?
So he did. Apologies: blame the late hour.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
So he did. Apologies: blame the late hour.
No worries
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One Aye has been removed due to a double vote in seat 37.

Order!
The Ayes to the right, 16.
The Noes to the left, 26.
Abstentions, 4.

I think the Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (33)
11.07%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.36%
No, but I want to start (111)
37.25%
No, I am unable to (64)
21.48%
No, I chose not to (80)
26.85%