Will a uni accept me if i failed to get C in GCSE maths Watch

joewilson1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Will uni's still accept me onto
their course if i get the A level grades needed for the course but fail to get a C this ear in GCSE maths as it states on my offer i needed it but surely i could sit my
maths GCSE while i was at uni so would it be a problem or not ? any suggestions
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by joewilson1)
their course if i get the A level grades needed for the course but fail to get a C this ear in GCSE maths as it states on my offer i needed it but surely i could sit my
If it's part of your offer, you'll need the C!

Posted from TSR Mobile
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
if they put it on the offer, you have to fulfill it.
ruthmckay00
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It was in my mum's offer and she didn't get it so she phoned up the uni and they let her join anyway -that was years ago though so idk about nowadays
joewilson1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Changing Skies)
If it's part of your offer, you'll need the C!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ohh yeah its defiently part of the offer but could i not just techincally resit it while at uni like i did while i was at college ?
joewilson1
Rep:
?
(Original post by AryanGh)
if they put it on the offer, you have to fulfill it.
even if it was possible resit it at uni like i have done at college ?
joewilson1
Rep:
?
(Original post by ruthmckay00)
It was in my mum's offer and she didn't get it so she phoned up the uni and they let her join anyway -that was years ago though so idk about nowadays
i will look into that if i dont get the C as i hoping they may let me in if i have got the A level grades but not the C
PedanticStudent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When I was doing my UCAS application, I found that basically every university requires grade C or above in GCSE maths before an offer can be made. Just check the entry requirements on the particular university's website, it should clearly state what they expect prospective students to offer in terms of GCSE maths and English grades.
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
even if it was possible resit it at uni like i have done at college ?
well if you are at Uni then what's the point of doing it, they've already accepted you.

You do the resit now, if you get the C, you get in, if you don't, well you probably won't get in, but it's not the end of the world, you'd need to heavily compensate in exceptional A Level grades and a very good personal statement.
zaraiqbal18
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you have an unconditional it doesn't really matter but if you have been given a conditional offer as you have stated then unfortunately that just depends on your university. Just ring them up on results day and let them know your grade and ask them if they can accept you.
joewilson1
Rep:
?
(Original post by PedanticStudent)
When I was doing my UCAS application, I found that basically every university requires grade C or above in GCSE maths before an offer can be made. Just check the entry requirements on the particular university's website, it should clearly state what they expect prospective students to offer in terms of GCSE maths and English grades.
I have already got offers from unis as i was resitting my maths gcse while im at college so i thought i couldve resit
(Original post by AryanGh)
well if you are at Uni then what's the point of doing it, they've already accepted you.

You do the resit now, if you get the C, you get in, if you don't, well you probably won't get in, but it's not the end of the world, you'd need to heavily compensate in exceptional A Level grades and a very good personal statement.
im not at uni sorry i meant i have got a firm and insurance choice uni and my firm clearly state they want a C grace in maths ut my insurance dont say anything on my offer about a C grade in maths
joewilson1
Rep:
?
I will thankyou
Mynameistaken1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I haven't got my C in maths and I had offers off every university i applied for. Is there anyway you can resit the exam? I'm in the same situation as you, I'm trying to resit somehow again! Try emailing the university and ask them what you could. What course are you taking in university?
joewilson1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mynameistaken1)
I haven't got my C in maths and I had offers off every university i applied for. Is there anyway you can resit the exam? I'm in the same situation as you, I'm trying to resit somehow again! Try emailing the university and ask them what you could. What course are you taking in university?
newcastle and northumbria and lawM101 what about you and i wasnt sure if they would still offer me my place regardless of my grades thats why i asked and i think what would happen was you would have to sit the exam at your college in the summer
joewilson1
Rep:
?
newcastle and northumbria and lawM101 what about you and i wasnt sure if they would still offer me my place regardless of my grades thats why i asked and i think what would happen was you would have to sit the exam at your college in the summer
I hope if i was to fail my maths gcse resit but got the right A level grades for uni i would hopefully still be accepted onto the course and just resit my maths at uni
PedanticStudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have already got offers from unis as i was resitting my maths gcse while im at college so i thought i couldve resit
im not at uni sorry i meant i have got a firm and insurance choice uni and my firm clearly state they want a C grace in maths ut my insurance dont say anything on my offer about a C grade in maths
They probably made you an offer on the grounds that you are resitting and will obtain the C.

I would think that the university would not be pleased if you do not have a grade C in maths by the time you reach them. Technically, they could withdraw their offer as they said they wanted it on the site?

I'm not certain here but you can withdraw your UCAS application at any time, therefore they could probably do the same to you.

There are many videos on places like YouTube which can help you with your maths, I went from like D grade standard to scraping an A in the space of about 2 months thanks to the Internet, and then getting the best AS level maths result in my year group - again, thanks to the Internet.

Foundation GCSE maths is one of those things you should just be able to train into yourself through hard work and doing the papers. I understand that different people work/learn at different paces but put the work in and you'll succeed.

Best of luck. Don't let this hold you back, you'll be surprised how it might come back and bite you on the a** later on. Get that C, you can do it.

Then again, there are universities which just see students as little pockets of nine grand so you might actually get away with it in some cases.
Mynameistaken1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm studying law too! Luckily maths isn't needed for Aberystwyth so it took pressure off the fact I didn't get my C. If it states on there that you need your C, but you said in your UCAS application you haven't got a C but they've given you an offer, im sure you'll get in just fine?
joewilson1
Rep:
?
They probably made you an offer on the grounds that you are resitting and will obtain the C.

I would think that the university would not be pleased if you do not have a grade C in maths by the time you reach them. Technically, they could withdraw their offer as they said they wanted it on the site?

I'm not certain here but you can withdraw your UCAS application at any time, therefore they could probably do the same to you.

There are many videos on places like YouTube which can help you with your maths, I went from like D grade standard to scraping an A in the space of about 2 months thanks to the Internet, and then getting the best AS level maths result in my year group - again, thanks to the Internet.

Foundation GCSE maths is one of those things you should just be able to train into yourself through hard work and doing the papers. I understand that different people work/learn at different paces but put the work in and you'll succeed.

Best of luck. Don't let this hold you back, you'll be surprised how it might come back and bite you on the a** later on. Get that C, you can do it.
thankyou for the support and insight im in similair position to what you were as i keep on getting D grade for maths and i suppose i have concetrated more on on my A levels which is understandable and ive put my maths on the back burner however i will look into youtube videos and possibly even get a tutor and in your opinion would you suggest speaking to my firm choice university about this if i do fail to get the C as Gcse come out next week so i will only know then if i have got in or not to my firm choice
joewilson1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mynameistaken1)
I'm studying law too! Luckily maths isn't needed for Aberystwyth so it took pressure off the fact I didn't get my C. If it states on there that you need your C, but you said in your UCAS application you haven't got a C but they've given you an offer, im sure you'll get in just fine?
that is very lucky i wish it could only be true with me and yeah im just worried incase they reject my application due to me not getting my C as i could resit it while i was in uni
PedanticStudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
thankyou for the support and insight im in similair position to what you were as i keep on getting D grade for maths and i suppose i have concetrated more on on my A levels which is understandable and ive put my maths on the back burner however i will look into youtube videos and possibly even get a tutor and in your opinion would you suggest speaking to my firm choice university about this if i do fail to get the C as Gcse come out next week so i will only know then if i have got in or not to my firm choice
If they have the aforementioned attitude of them just wanting your money -- then I wouldn't contact them.

If they don't have that attitude -- then I still wouldn't contact them.

You could get away with it, they might be willing to "accidentally" fail to detect that you missed your C again and just let you in anyway. Its their decision who they let in at the end of the day.

Contacting them will only draw attention to the fact that you don't have a C. If you are going to contact them to discuss it, don't give them your personal information.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (9)
20.93%
No (34)
79.07%

Watched Threads