The Student Room Group

Will a uni accept me if i failed to get C in GCSE maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joewilson1
that is very lucky i wish it could only be true with me and yeah im just worried incase they reject my application due to me not getting my C as i could resit it while i was in uni

I'm guessing you're applying after the summer holidays by the sounds of it? Have a word with your tutor/head of year and they should give you some guidance. You could resit maths but you'll have to pay for it. It cost me about £30 to resit. It shouldn't be too much of a problem, just give them an email sometime in the summer and explain your situation?
Will uni's still accept me onto
their course if i get the A level grades needed for the course but fail to get a C this ear in GCSE maths as it states on my offer i needed it but surely i could sit my
maths GCSE while i was at uni so would it be a problem or not ? any suggestions

I've been offered a place at Bristol Uni to do Biology, along with Glasgow for Zoology.

I have a D in maths (both of the above unis need a B, I think, in maths GCSE), but I'm predicted A*A*A in A Level - I was very fortunate to be able to take my A levels (Biology, Computer Science, and Chemistry), as the teachers were amazing, and gave me a life line.

If you can get good A Levels, GCSEs mean nothing; but that does not mean that you shouldn't do well in your GCSEs; I was very fortunate to be given the opportunity.

So, you can make things happen, even with **** GCSEs.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PedanticStudent
If they have the aforementioned attitude of them just wanting your money -- then I wouldn't contact them.

If they don't have that attitude -- then I still wouldn't contact them.

You could get away with it, they might be willing to "accidentally" fail to detect that you missed your C again and just let you in anyway. Its their decision who they let in at the end of the day.

Contacting them will only draw attention to the fact that you don't have a C. If you are going to contact them to discuss it, don't give them your personal information.

are you suggesting that if i wasnt to contact them about it i would slip under the radar of that uni so to speak and it would go unoticed so they may end up accepting me as i rang them previously a few months ago regarding this and they were suggesting it was imperative that i got that C grade
Original post by s33ds
I've been offered a place at Bristol Uni to do Biology, along with Glasgow for Zoology.

I have a D in maths (both of the above unis need a B, I think, in maths GCSE), but I'm predicted A*A*A in A Level - I was very fortunate to be able to take my A levels (Biology, Computer Science, and Chemistry), as the teachers were amazing, and gave me a life line.

If you can get good A Levels, GCSEs mean nothing; but that does not mean that you shouldn't do well in your GCSEs; I was very fortunate to be given the opportunity.

So, you can make things happen, even with **** GCSEs.

well done they are some very good grades you have been predicted i was predicted ABB and newcastle entry grades are ABB so i wouldve thought my gcses wouldnt of mattered either but they stated it specifcally in my offer when i first got it thats why i was worried me not getting it may lead to
me being rejected by newcastle
Original post by Mynameistaken1
I'm guessing you're applying after the summer holidays by the sounds of it? Have a word with your tutor/head of year and they should give you some guidance. You could resit maths but you'll have to pay for it. It cost me about £30 to resit. It shouldn't be too much of a problem, just give them an email sometime in the summer and explain your situation?

i have already applied for uni this year as im
in year 13 and recived all my
offers from unis and i am due to get my gcse results next week for maths so thats what im thinking if i fail
to get a C this year the uni may reject my offer
are you suggesting that if i wasnt to contact them about it i would slip under the radar of that uni so to speak and it would go unoticed so they may end up accepting me as i rang them previously a few months ago regarding this and they were suggesting it was imperative that i got that C grade

I mean, results day is a busy time :biggrin:

Realistically, you can't bank on it but if the university is struggling for students or has places to fill then they might well let it slip...
(edited 6 years ago)
well done they are some very good grades you have been predicted i was predicted ABB and newcastle entry grades are ABB so i wouldve thought my gcses wouldnt of mattered either but they stated it specifcally in my offer when i first got it thats why i was worried me not getting it may lead to
me being rejected by newcastle

The best thing to do may have been to ask them when you first got the offer. But now, it's probably best to wait until results day, as it could just slip under (but all anyone can give you here, is conjecture - no one here knows, take it all with a pinch of salt).

ahahahahaha the unis hopefully will have bigger things to deal with like clearing in your opinion would you say not to contact them then would be the best option as contacting will draw attention to my self about the situation if i was to fail maths ?
Original post by s33ds
The best thing to do may have been to ask them when you first got the offer. But now, it's probably best to wait until results day, as it could just slip under (but all anyone can give you here, is conjecture - no one here knows, take it all with a pinch of salt).

i had rang them previously and they said it was 'imperative' that i got my maths gcse thats why i was worried incase me failing maths gets my uni offer rejected

Realistically, you can't bank on it but if the university is struggling for students or has places to fill then they might well let it slip...

yes i know what you mean now it may well be that i may just slip in and no one says anymore ahout it as there cant be many who have failed maths so that would indicate more of a chance of me not being pulled up on it
ahahahahaha the unis hopefully will have bigger things to deal with like clearing in your opinion would you say not to contact them then would be the best option as contacting will draw attention to my self about the situation if i was to fail maths ?

Contacting them prior to GCSE results day will invariably not help matters.

There are three possible outcomes given that you fail maths, irrespective of whether you do or do not contact them:

Outcome 1: Its A level results day and you have met the terms of your A level grades offer. The university confirms your place. You attend the university.

Outcome 2: Its A level results day and you have met the terms of your A level grades offer. The university confirms your place. GCSE results day comes along and it is discovered that you have failed to get a C in maths. The university reverses their decision to award you a place on the course.

Outcome 3: Its A level results day and you have met the terms of your A level grades offer. The university leaves you in lingo and does not make any decision until GCSE results day. When GCSE results day comes along, they discover you have failed maths and decide to decline your place.

Lets hope its outcome 1. Should outcome 2 or 3 happen, then all you can do is call them and negotiate your place and plead with them saying you will resit maths again while at uni.

Strategically timing your call should, in theory, reduce the chances of detection. Its borderline deception, but not quite. :P
(edited 6 years ago)
Contacting them prior to GCSE results day will invariably not help matters.

There are three possible outcomes given that you fail maths, irrespective of whether you do or do not contact them:

Outcome 1: Its A level results day and you have met the terms of your A level grades offer. The university confirms your place. You attend the university.

Outcome 2: Its A level results day and you have met the terms of your A level grades offer. The university confirms your place. GCSE results day comes along and it is discovered that you have failed to get a C in maths. The university reverses their decision to award you a place on the course.

Outcome 3: Its A level results day and you have met the terms of your A level grades offer. The university leaves you in lingo and does not make any decision until GCSE results day. When GCSE results day comes along, they discover you have failed maths and decide to decline your place.

Lets hope its outcome 1. Should outcome 2 or 3 happen, then all you can do is call them and negotiate your place and plead with them saying you will resit maths again while at uni.

Strategically timing your call should, in theory, reduce the chances of detection. Its borderline deception, but not quite. :P

i was worried incase it was outcome 2/3 as they seemed fairly strong on the phone to me as to me getting my maths hopefully i do get it but if i dont i will ring them up as to try to come to a middle way once a uni has rejectd a offer can they reverse it or not ?
Original post by zaraiqbal18
If you have an unconditional it doesn't really matter but if you have been given a conditional offer as you have stated then unfortunately that just depends on your university. Just ring them up on results day and let them know your grade and ask them if they can accept you.

i will as they specifcally said that thsy wanted a C in maths so if i dont get it i will feel like they will reject my offer even if i do get my A level grades
i will as they specifcally said that thsy wanted a C in maths so if i dont get it i will feel like they will reject my offer even if i do get my A level grades

Well you never know you might have passed your maths, have hope and let me know what happens too hehe and if you haven't passed then just ring up the university they should be fine with it. Good Luck!! Hope you pass!!
Original post by zaraiqbal18
Well you never know you might have passed your maths, have hope and let me know what happens too hehe and if you haven't passed then just ring up the university they should be fine with it. Good Luck!! Hope you pass!!

i rang up the uni not that long ago and they said they needed my maths gcse as it was stated on my offer they gave me :frown: but thankyou i really hope i do pass
Reply 35
Can i join any university without A levels? And what university accepts Gcses only?
their course if i get the A level grades needed for the course but fail to get a C this ear in GCSE maths as it states on my offer i needed it but surely i could sit my

Just tagging in surrey

Hi @joewilson1,

You'll probably just have to wait it out and see if they make your offer unconditional. There's really not much you can do about it I'm afraid - the decision is up to them. If the GCSE Maths C grade was part of your offer then technically you'd have to fulfil it, but if you don't get a C and they don't offer you a place, you could always call up the Admissions team and explain your situation. Perhaps they would let you resit whilst you're at uni, but there's no guarantee. They might let you away with it if they need to fill the places on the course as well (though this may be different if the course contains an amount of maths).

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :crossedf:

All the best,
Ashley
Reply 38
i rang up the uni not that long ago and they said they needed my maths gcse as it was stated on my offer they gave me :frown: but thankyou i really hope i do pass

Did you pass
Original post by Nur2day
Did you pass

no

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending