The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I took maths and English gcse last sept at the age of 40 and passed both with a b. Go for it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Why not? Adult learning is a big thing these days. I'd recommend examsolutions if you want to self-study; you could get a grade 9 if you're serious about it.
My mom is 50 this year and she just completed her GCSE maths (with a C) after obtaining an E originally! It's worth it!
At 40 I decided to train as a primary
teacher, having had many years in PR. The Scottish PGCE requirements were that I take Core maths 4, (they didn't like my grade C at O level awarded by that strange country south of the border) and to boost my chances I also took Higher Biology. I did both by distance learning and got top grades in both. I really enjoyed doing them - at my own pace (2 kids under 3 at the time) so if you can find a learning provider which allows you to be in control of the pace, then go for it - you won't regret it. And btw I'm thinking of doing a second degree at uni when my husband retires in a few years' time (though I haven't told him yet....😊)

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just got my GCSE results back, and I managed to get a 5!

Believe me when I say if I can get a five, you can get a four or a five (C equivalent). I absolutely hate maths and always have done. For my GCSE studies, our maths teacher kept insisting that I (and some other classmates) were not going to get a 4 (the pass grade), and that we were too stupid to be taught some of the higher subjects we needed for our exams.

I am very like you in the fact that it just doesn't make sense to me. It's always just gone over my head and never really clicked. Everyone has their different strengths and things they're good at. I got an A* in my Spanish and English Language (not that I know how!). If you asked me to translate a complicated sentence in Spanish, I would have no trouble. On the other hand however, ask me what is seen as a 'simple' maths problem and I'd have no idea.

Despite this, with help from a tutor, I passed with a higher grade than I needed :smile: I say go for it. You have nothing to lose and you'll most likely be pleasantly surprised.

Just make sure you study and find resources that work for you, wether that's a tutor, YouTube videos or other online resources.

You can do it! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Just thought I'd chip in too. I'm redoing GCSE Maths starting a week on Monday. I originally got a C and have confidence issues with it following a hellish time at school, so decided to conquer that fear and redo the course mostly to build up some confidence and decrease the hate!
Best of luck!
I also was made to be some sort of a Guinea pig on the Smile system and ended up with an F grade! I managed 2 B's in Science so it always confused people when I went to interviews how I done so bad in maths. The system of Smile caused way more frowns. I left school in 93.
Original post by Dorike
I failed GCSE maths back in 1992 (got a big fat U!) this has always bugged me somehow. I'm thinking of doing a GCSE Maths course at my local college next month, just to satisfy myself, and maybe to do a degree sometime. Has anyone gone from a U to a C or above grade?

It's worth it :smile:.

I'm sure plenty of people have jumped from U to C, you can ask your teacher and there may be students on this forum.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Texxers
Lmao you're 40 and still haven't passed GCSE :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Not everyone passes first time round you know.
Original post by Ginger_
Not everyone passes first time round you know.

Cheers for that sherlock.
Original post by Texxers
Cheers for that sherlock.

There's no need to laugh at him
Original post by Dorike
I failed GCSE maths back in 1992 (got a big fat U!) this has always bugged me somehow. I'm thinking of doing a GCSE Maths course at my local college next month, just to satisfy myself, and maybe to do a degree sometime. Has anyone gone from a U to a C or above grade?

If you want to, go for it! There is plenty more online support for GCSE Maths now than I imagine there was in 1992, which you might find useful (I'd really recommend BBC Bitesize and Mathswatch - if you can get access to Mathswatch!). Also, if there's something you don't get, please ask your teacher to go over it again with you! Good luck :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
I was predicted an 'F' by my horrible Maths teacher and achieved a strong 'C'. I did it by using a DVD called 'My Maths' which shows you how to do all the maths problems from grade G right up to grade C. You systematically work through all the lowest grade maths problems all the way up. For me, it was a case of doing little and often.

After you have watched them demonstrate how to do it, you then try some problems of your own. Then the answers are shown as well as it showing you how to work out the answers. I did this several times a few for about 4 months until my exams. There is also a site called Maths Watch which does pretty much the same thing as 'My Maths' and is very useful. You are not too old! My Grandmother is in her 90s and has never felt confident with maths at all. She has bought a primary school maths text book to try and learn some. Never too old to learn, ever! Xxxx
(edited 6 years ago)
The GCSEs have changed since 1992 as there is now a new style of GCSE. Chances are you'll do this new style, so you'll have to see for yourself what it's like and how it's changed
Reply 34
Original post by S27
Do it! I wouldn't worry your previous U as it was so long ago you are probably a different person now. If you put in the time, anyone can get a C grade.

If you want to go to university, have a look at access courses. I have taught it, and it allows people of all ages and abilities the chance to go to university quicker than you would think.

Hello, I'm butting in here, sorry, but I'm 62 and have never been taught maths much passed primary. I didn't really attend secondary school. Now, I want to do a Nutrition Degree with Biology, and I have learnt that I can not even apply to the access course unless I have a Maths GCSE :frown: I am terrified. I've bought the two revision guides/workbooks Revise Edexcel GCSE (9-1) and am even more terrified and am becoming more and more convinced that it will be an impossibility. Something inside though, says otherwise. What do you think? But, I really am scared. Maths has always been my number one fear in life, and I can't even understand the questions or language.
Thanks so much.
Original post by mumpy
Hello, I'm butting in here, sorry, but I'm 62 and have never been taught maths much passed primary. I didn't really attend secondary school. Now, I want to do a Nutrition Degree with Biology, and I have learnt that I can not even apply to the access course unless I have a Maths GCSE :frown: I am terrified. I've bought the two revision guides/workbooks Revise Edexcel GCSE (9-1) and am even more terrified and am becoming more and more convinced that it will be an impossibility. Something inside though, says otherwise. What do you think? But, I really am scared. Maths has always been my number one fear in life, and I can't even understand the questions or language.
Thanks so much.

No need to be terrified it's 100% doable. Use exam solutions on YouTube ,he explains anything in maths gcse very clearly and concisely.
Reply 36
Original post by Mr.noname
No need to be terrified it's 100% doable. Use exam solutions on YouTube ,he explains anything in maths gcse very clearly and concisely.

Thanks so much for this. You're very kind. What's the name of the guy on Youtube? Or do I just type in exam solutions? Ta ever so again :smile:
Original post by mumpy
Thanks so much for this. You're very kind. What's the name of the guy on Youtube? Or do I just type in exam solutions? Ta ever so again :smile:

Yea type in exam solutions that's the channels name
Reply 38
Original post by Ronnie BMX
I also was made to be some sort of a Guinea pig on the Smile system and ended up with an F grade! I managed 2 B's in Science so it always confused people when I went to interviews how I done so bad in maths. The system of Smile caused way more frowns. I left school in 93.
Wow Ronnie! That’s is very interesting your own experience with Smile Maths. It’s such a shame they failed us.

Original post by Pink fizz
There's no need to laugh at him

I’m a her btw. But thanks for sticking up for me Pink Fizz. That guys’ a dh.
Reply 39
Original post by Questioning_Ella
I was predicted an 'F' by my horrible Maths teacher and achieved a strong 'C'. I did it by using a DVD called 'My Maths' which shows you how to do all the maths problems from grade G right up to grade C. You systematically work through all the lowest grade maths problems all the way up. For me, it was a case of doing little and often.

After you have watched them demonstrate how to do it, you then try some problems of your own. Then the answers are shown as well as it showing you how to work out the answers. I did this several times a few for about 4 months until my exams. There is also a site called Maths Watch which does pretty much the same thing as 'My Maths' and is very useful. You are not too old! My Grandmother is in her 90s and has never felt confident with maths at all. She has bought a primary school maths text book to try and learn some. Never too old to learn, ever! Xxxx

Hi Ella, thanks for your lengthy response. Will look into these.

Latest

Trending

Trending