haj2244
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Which is better to buy for uni? laptop would be used for surfing the web, essays, storing photos etc. I was looking into a MacBook Air, or a Chromebook
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you only need it for surfing the web, essays and photos I would say chromebook. For the battery life alone it's unbeatable. And if you don't need other applications (that you can't get on a chomebook) I see no reason to get a laptop unless your foresee needing one in the near future.

My sister got me a Toshiba Chrombook for Christmas, nearly 2 years ago now. I still get minimum 8 hours out of the battery, if I don't watch videos I can even stretch it to 12 hours. Whereas I've found in the past a laptop's battery life quickly run down, even after just a years use.

Just make sure everything you need can be done on a chromebook first.

If you don't need special programmes for your course or hobbies, I see no reason to get a macbook as they're significantly more expensive.
likeamotownbeat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've had my MacBook Air since January and honestly it's amazing. Super light and really really fast.

I don't really know too much about the Chromebook, but the reason I changed from windows laptops to an apple laptop was because I always found that windows laptops became really slow after a year or so of use.

I personally would say MacBook Air but obviously there's a big different in price between these two so it's up to you.
itsageorgia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A macbook would let you run apple specific software but the usefulness of that capability entirely depends of if they're relevant to your course at uni.
The price of a macbook is high (£1200) whereas you could buy a decent chromebook for ~£200. The reliability of the latter is also something to consider; it's less susceptible to viruses and malware meaning it would require less maintenance than a macbook- that could be a big factor when it comes to using up your time whilst at uni. Personally, and I'm quite simple when it comes to laptops, unless the macbook offers something that you need that a chromebook doesn't, go for the chromebook.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.34%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.17%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.46%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.41%

Watched Threads