The Student Room Group

is uni easier if you're middle class?

The Guardian has published a series of short interviews with working class/ first generation students on their experiences of going to uni and it makes for very interesting reading!

I am a first generations scholar myself and I definitely see some similarities in their stories!

Here are some of the quotes from the interviews, which you can read here!

"Before going to uni I had the mindset that it was just for middle-class people. I think this was because my school would bring people in to do talks and they spoke so poshly I didn’t even understand the words they’re using. But when I actually went to open days I saw the diversity there"

"I’ve worked part-time while studying, in retail for a couple of years and now in events. A lot of students I know also worked at some point so I didn’t feel like it was just me."

"Did it ever feel too middle class? Not really. I think uni is a good leveller. It felt as though there were a lot of middle-class students at first but as you get to know each other, and go through things together, you stop seeing the differences"

Is anyone else the first in their family to go to university? What is/ was your experience like? Did it make no difference or a huge difference?
Easier because you are likely to have had a better education and more access to money.
True but don't students from hard-up backgrounds get more money from student loans? (Please correct me if I am wrong!)

Most parents don't sub their children enough to have a house and anything they like; hence even the rich kids don't have a tonne more than the poor kids AFAIK.

Personally, I think class difference only affects quality of an upbringing. Poor kids, especially in neighborhoods renowned for gang-ism will tend to not favour school work and become the stereotypical delinquent. I reckon the same kid in a richer area (no gangs etc.) would be wayyyy more likely to go to uni.
Reply 3
Original post by DrSebWilkes
True but don't students from hard-up backgrounds get more money from student loans? (Please correct me if I am wrong!)

Most parents don't sub their children enough to have a house and anything they like; hence even the rich kids don't have a tonne more than the poor kids AFAIK.

Personally, I think class difference only affects quality of an upbringing. Poor kids, especially in neighborhoods renowned for gang-ism will tend to not favour school work and become the stereotypical delinquent. I reckon the same kid in a richer area (no gangs etc.) would be wayyyy more likely to go to uni.

Students with lower household income can get a higher student loan, but I think this article was focused more on cultural and social differences. I'm sure many rich parents don't give their kids loads of money for uni, but I think it makes a difference knowing they can help you out or buy your uni books if necessary.
Reply 4
Middle class students are less likely to work during uni, this makes the experience easier and generally better.

They also tend to have more money and greater support (especially upper-middle class. I assure you that many "rich" parents indeed give large allowances).

Their parents have gone to uni and they have always been expected to do the same, so it feels natural for them (less stress, more confidence). Their family might have gone to the same university/college which means you feel as if you own the place more, and also have useful contacts (among the upper-middle class I see that parents can give their children privileged access to support and guidance from faculty and administrators).

It's more likely that your school has prepared you at best for university if you are middle class or above.

Working class people are excluded from certain social circles in uni, where people have lavish parties, dine in nice places and go on expensive trips.

Quick Reply

Latest