bea.forder
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am applying for medicine in september and did my ukcat today and got 3090 overall /770 - I want to apply to oxford, imperial and ucl (obvs all bmat) but my 4th will be a ukcat uni - which are the best ukcat unis or unis that take ukcat into the most consideration
StationToStation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Newcastle shortlists people for interview only based on the UKCAT. Most UKCAT unis take the UKCAT into account alongside your GCSEs and predictions.

I'd think twice about only applying for one UKCAT uni in your situation though - imagine how annoying it would be to flop in the BMAT and fail to even get an interview from 75% of your unis, knowing you would've basically been guaranteed one at many UKCAT unis! Plenty of people get way worse BMAT scores than they expected so you really shouldn't count on doing well.

Maybe consider switching Imperial or UCL to King's (also a prestigious London uni + quite UKCAT heavy)?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't apply to 3 BMAT unis if you're also taking the BMAT in November. I know you're confident and everything but that really is a reckless risk in one of the most important decisions of your life.

2 at absolute most.
bea.forder
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Don't apply to 3 BMAT unis if you're also taking the BMAT in November. I know you're confident and everything but that really is a reckless risk in one of the most important decisions of your life.

2 at absolute most.
I know its really stupid but I looked round them all and completely fell in love!! Its so difficult especially when I can't know if the risk will pay off
gradmed305
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bea.forder)
I know its really stupid but I looked round them all and completely fell in love!! Its so difficult especially when I can't know if the risk will pay off
You should probably assume the risk won't pay off. I agree with nexttime and choose a maximum of two.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok... what did you "fall in love" with exactly? The course? Because there are non-BMAT unis with similar courses. The buildings? The "atmosphere"? Because those things are not important and highly dependent on the day respectively. Have you looked around other med schools?

I honestly cannot possibly recommend you go through with this. Getting into medicine vs not getting in at all is a far more important distinction than whether you went to UCL or Edinburgh or Cardiff or what have you.
StationToStation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Speaking from experience, you'll get over it all med schools are fantastic in their own way and you'll most likely end up loving whichever you end up at. Absolutely not worth taking the risk when not getting into medicine is a possible outcome.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.89%
I'm not sure (2)
1.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (39)
31.71%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (57)
46.34%

Watched Threads