ryukk
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I want to write a thriller sort of book like a mystery but im out of ideas. Soooo any ideas guys?
itsageorgia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd recommend seeing what the great thriller/mystery writers do to build suspense and intrigue throughout their novels. I find that most of them work backwards- decide on your outcome, the answer to the main question, before you start at the beginning. Then try to find characters that are three dimensional, give them depth; if they're the bad guy you could either make them wholey evil to a point where the reader with abhor them, or you could give them a tragic backstory. It's up to you, but make sure everything happens for a reason (even if it's not explained until later on, or not even explained at all) Many great writers create entire worlds around their books without ever publishing them - they're there to add depth to a story so a writer knows what's going on. Once I tried to write a mystery/horror and it flopped (lol) but even if you come up with a great plot, if the characters are weak, the audience will probably get bored. Unless it's a really amazing plot... Best of luck!
ryukk
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by itsageorgia)
I'd recommend seeing what the great thriller/mystery writers do to build suspense and intrigue throughout their novels. I find that most of them work backwards- decide on your outcome, the answer to the main question, before you start at the beginning. Then try to find characters that are three dimensional, give them depth; if they're the bad guy you could either make them wholey evil to a point where the reader with abhor them, or you could give them a tragic backstory. It's up to you, but make sure everything happens for a reason (even if it's not explained until later on, or not even explained at all) Many great writers create entire worlds around their books without ever publishing them - they're there to add depth to a story so a writer knows what's going on. Once I tried to write a mystery/horror and it flopped (lol) but even if you come up with a great plot, if the characters are weak, the audience will probably get bored. Unless it's a really amazing plot... Best of luck!
Thank you so much for this!
itsageorgia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by miss_ambitious)
Thank you so much for this!
glad to be of assistance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (18)
37.5%
No (26)
54.17%
I don't know (4)
8.33%

Watched Threads