The Student Room Group

Chemistry degree?

Is anyone here currently studying (or has finished studying) Chemistry at Uni? I have questions that I would appreciate some answers to:

Do you find it enjoyable?
Is the workload much higher than other degrees? Does it still give you time for a social life, sports/societies etc.?
Is it a large step up from A-Levels?
Do you recommend any particular Universities?
Do you feel good about what your career prospects will be once the degree is finished?
Is it common that people on Chemistry degrees go on to Graduate Medicine?

Thanks very much.
Original post by BarryAllen
Is anyone here currently studying (or has finished studying) Chemistry at Uni? I have questions that I would appreciate some answers to:

Is the workload much higher than other degrees? Does it still give you time for a social life, sports/societies etc.?
Do you feel good about what your career prospects will be once the degree is finished?

Thanks very much.

Hey,
I'm a 3rd year chem student at Heriot Watt, I actually transferred from another course and I like it much better. It's true the workload is a bit higher than some other courses but with that there's lots of help available and it tends to be smaller weekly tasks rather than big assignments that you're given an entire term for.
In Scotland first year is similar to A-levels with some new material introduced and is designed to ease you into uni life and catch you up on any stuff you dont remember.
Have you thought about Heriot Watt in Edinburgh? The lecturers are actually really helpful here if you are stuck on anything.
My career prospects after I graduate are pretty good, there's a chemistry with a placement in industry course as well if you are concerned about work experience before graduation. Not sure how many people go on to graduate medicine but it can definitely be done especially as chemistry is one of the most important prerequisites for medicine.
best of luck ( AF, 3rd year chemistry Heriot Watt)

Thanks very much.

I am a third year chemist at Durham university
It is quite high but I am able to play rugby and badminton and go out once a week
It is less a jump and more a shift, it becomes a lot more math than a level
Durham of course :P
Yes I do
Yes a friend of mine is able to transfer to medicine at the end of their chem degree

Thanks very much.

Hi there,
I'm a student at Heriot Watt University currently studying Chemistry.
The course itself is very interesting and enjoyable, the average week is around 16-18 hours per week in teaching time then maybe 4 hours per week personal study to complete assignments etc.
I still had plenty of time to enjoy Edinburgh and the night life, and there are lots of societies and sports clubs here too, including the brand new sports facility, the Oriam right on campus.
I am a Scottish student so unfortunately I don't know much about A-Levels but the 1st year course is equivalent the the Scottish Advanced Higher course plus a bit more. I know people who did come up from A-Levels and they said it was manageable but you might need a bit more study time at the beginning.
Obviously I would recommend Heriot Watt and we are open for Clearing if you want to give us a call, the number is on our website.
The career prospect is very open and lots of jobs are around at the moment.
And finally I'm not sure about the medicine aspect but I'm sure there would be a postgraduate course available somewhere
If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask us or give us a phone!
Lynsey

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending