Insuring my car or not bother with company van

Watch
Georgelmoore
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
At the minute I have a company van. Is it worth paying a grand to insure my car?
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Georgelmoore)
At the minute I have a company van. Is it worth paying a grand to insure my car?
If you need a car then yeah.
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Moved to Cars and motoring.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Georgelmoore)
Are you allowed to use the van for private use?
dickwhittington
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most companies don't allow their vehicles to be used for private use although you would probably be able to get away with using it to pop to the shops, although that might still get you in trouble if found out. I'd find out if they will let you use it for private use first
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dickwhittington)
Most companies don't allow their vehicles to be used for private use although you would probably be able to get away with using it to pop to the shops, although that might still get you in trouble if found out. I'd find out if they will let you use it for private use first
I agree.
And if you cant use your van for personal use (which you probably wont be) then id insure your car.
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dickwhittington)
Most companies don't allow their vehicles to be used for private use although you would probably be able to get away with using it to pop to the shops, although that might still get you in trouble if found out.
More importantly, the company van might not be insured for private use. You don't want to get done for driving without insurance.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by martin7)
More importantly, the company van might not be insured for private use. You don't want to get done for driving without insurance.
In terms of insurance, the commute home is classed as private use, so this is unlikely.
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
In terms of insurance, the commute home is classed as private use, so this is unlikely.
I've never had the need to look into commercial van insurance, but I can imagine that a policy might allow an employee to drive home and keep the vehicle there before returning to work, but still not cover the employee for "social domestic and pleasure" purposes.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by martin7)
I've never had the need to look into commercial van insurance, but I can imagine that a policy might allow an employee to drive home and keep the vehicle there before returning to work, but still not cover the employee for "social domestic and pleasure" purposes.
My mistake, van insurance does differ from car insurance here - commuting in a van is classed as commercial insurance, rather than being an option for private insurance.

Thanks for pointing that out.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
in terms of commercial vehicle insurance , this depends where the employee is considered to be based .

generally those with company vans don't 'commute' they travel from base to a worksite .

there are also income tax implications with private use of company vehicles although , the impact is smaller if it;s van or DPV than if it is a car ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
16.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.46%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed