The Student Room Group

New instructor yelled at me over a pothole. Is this normal?

I finally got a new instructor, and he shouted at me today for going through a pothole. Yes, I know to avoid them, but he took me on a new route that I'd never done before so I was very focussed on making sure I was in the correct lane, had my positioning correct, etc. Normally he'd tell me there was a pothole up ahead if I was unfamiliar with the road or move the wheel for me, but this time he didn't and it was too late. He then yelled "I thought you'd noticed that!" and put his face into his hands. He was then really icy for the remainder of the lesson. I felt like he no longer wanted to have me in the car, to be honest. I know what I done was bad, but surely this isn't normal for an instructor, especially when it's a student driver in unfamiliar territory.
How long have you been driving for? Yh I guess everyone's just gets annoyed at some point. You've just got to remember that driving instructors are just normal people teaching others how to drive. Some are very patient and others are not so patient. That being said if you take a couple more lessons and the instructor continues to be like this you should definitely consider changing instructors. I had my first instructor and she was literally the worst. It was my first lesson and I stalled at traffic lights. She was screaming 'Do this! Stop that!' And honestly I couldn't even make sense of what she wanted me to do. I'm still a fairly new learner driver but after that lesson I decidee to get a much more patient instructor. She still gets annoyed sometimes when I make mistake she but is still super nice. Sorry for the rambling lol and any spelling/grammar mistakes. I typed this on my iPhone. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Ironic that I've always been told to just not worry about potholes. He shouldn't have screamed at you like that .
Original post by p92
I finally got a new instructor, and he shouted at me today for going through a pothole. Yes, I know to avoid them, but he took me on a new route that I'd never done before so I was very focussed on making sure I was in the correct lane, had my positioning correct, etc. Normally he'd tell me there was a pothole up ahead if I was unfamiliar with the road or move the wheel for me, but this time he didn't and it was too late. He then yelled "I thought you'd noticed that!" and put his face into his hands. He was then really icy for the remainder of the lesson. I felt like he no longer wanted to have me in the car, to be honest. I know what I done was bad, but surely this isn't normal for an instructor, especially when it's a student driver in unfamiliar territory.

if he repeats , change instructor
Original post by p92

Try to learn and improve. You may have damaged his vehicle by going through that pothole. If it was your car, i doubt that you would be pleased.

Although he should not have yelled, he was within his right to be upset. He does not have too many cars for teaching drivers and that is his source of livelihood. So cut him some slack.

All the best.
Original post by p92

No. He should not have yelled at you. No good instructor yells at their pupils.

I suggest changing instructor - When is your next test? If it's soon then stick with him (as you don't really want to be in an unfamiliar car close to a test) but if it is far away then change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending