The Student Room Group

Advice desperately needed-- on finance. Will I manage?

Hi all!

So I am in a bit of a unique circumstance.

A while ago I applied for student finance. Now, I come from a relatively low-income household and live only with my mother. Hence, when prompted, I claimed that she was 'separated' as this is what she explained the circumstances to me as.
Apparently, they meant separated in terms of legality and my mother does not have a solicitor, nor can she prove that she's the only adult in the house as my brother still lives here.

So anyway, a VERY long and stressful story short I am going away to Uni this year with a little under £4k for the year, although I should be entitled to a lot more.

If I do manage to get a job up at Uni, does anyone think this will be manageable? We really don't have a lot of money and could never afford a savings account.

I just suffer with anxiety a lot and, even though I'm not sure if I got into University ye (I had a conditional offer), I am worrying like crazy. I feel like I'm the only person dreading to go this year.

(My mother is hoping to apply for a divorce for next year, so that would be easier).

Any advice, encouragement, or the like would be really, really appreciated. I honestly feel like I have no one to talk to about this (I am the first person in my family to go to Uni), and am feeling really anxious. Thanks :smile:
Original post by BonesyBones
Hi all!

So I am in a bit of a unique circumstance.

A while ago I applied for student finance. Now, I come from a relatively low-income household and live only with my mother. Hence, when prompted, I claimed that she was 'separated' as this is what she explained the circumstances to me as.
Apparently, they meant separated in terms of legality and my mother does not have a solicitor, nor can she prove that she's the only adult in the house as my brother still lives here.

So anyway, a VERY long and stressful story short I am going away to Uni this year with a little under £4k for the year, although I should be entitled to a lot more.

If I do manage to get a job up at Uni, does anyone think this will be manageable? We really don't have a lot of money and could never afford a savings account.

I just suffer with anxiety a lot and, even though I'm not sure if I got into University ye (I had a conditional offer), I am worrying like crazy. I feel like I'm the only person dreading to go this year.

(My mother is hoping to apply for a divorce for next year, so that would be easier).

Any advice, encouragement, or the like would be really, really appreciated. I honestly feel like I have no one to talk to about this (I am the first person in my family to go to Uni), and am feeling really anxious. Thanks :smile:

If your mum is the only adult in the house apart from your brother, there might be other evidence they accept. Contact student finance.

You will have to budget. Write down where every single penny goes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending