The Student Room Group

A-Level Philosophy for adult learner

Hello, my name is Daniel. I am trying to find a college, night school or other similar learning institution where I can study A-Level Philosophy as an adult learner. The places I have found so far only do it for 16-19 year olds.

I already have A-levels and a degree. But I want to change to a different subject for my Masters, namely Philosophy, but have never formally studied the subject before. I am planning to do some Undergraduate level Philosophy courses first, and want to get my A-Level in it too.

I can do A-Level Philosophy online via distance learning and such like, but I am trying to get away from that, as I didn't enjoy studying my degree online with the Open university as it doesn't suit my learning style and I found it quite isolating. I want to get back to bricks and mortar learning as much as possible with hands on assistance from tutors.

Does anyone know of any such locations where I can study A-Level Philosophy? I would prefer somewhere in the West Midlands, and to study it over one year instead of two, but I will consider almost any UK location and presentation. I have looked at lists of colleges that do A-Levels for adults elsewhere on these forums, but non do A-Level Philosophy.

If anyone could help with this I would be very grateful. Thanks very much.

Daniel
Original post by aeris2001x2
Hello, my name is Daniel. I am trying to find a college, night school or other similar learning institution where I can study A-Level Philosophy as an adult learner. The places I have found so far only do it for 16-19 year olds.

I already have A-levels and a degree. But I want to change to a different subject for my Masters, namely Philosophy, but have never formally studied the subject before. I am planning to do some Undergraduate level Philosophy courses first, and want to get my A-Level in it too.

I can do A-Level Philosophy online via distance learning and such like, but I am trying to get away from that, as I didn't enjoy studying my degree online with the Open university as it doesn't suit my learning style and I found it quite isolating. I want to get back to bricks and mortar learning as much as possible with hands on assistance from tutors.

Does anyone know of any such locations where I can study A-Level Philosophy? I would prefer somewhere in the West Midlands, and to study it over one year instead of two, but I will consider almost any UK location and presentation. I have looked at lists of colleges that do A-Levels for adults elsewhere on these forums, but non do A-Level Philosophy.

If anyone could help with this I would be very grateful. Thanks very much.

Daniel

Had a look and cant see any.
Thats not to say there arent any but its a niche subject anyway, so will be surprised if any mainstream colleges offer it.

As you pointed out even if they do offer it, then its more likely limited to 16-18 year olds.

Ive done searches for A levels before and only ever come across one college that takes adults. Most colleges have switched to access courses and the other way is to do a foundation year.

My only suggestion besides a more through search is to contact each exam board and take their advice. They may give you a list of colleges to get you started and then its a case of doing the groundwork. I think I would just teach myself and save the money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending