How to learn french tenses? Watch

SBizzy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How should I learn the french tenses? My teacher told me to learn them before we come back from summer break, so it can be easier for me.
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SBizzy)
How should I learn the french tenses? My teacher told me to learn them before we come back from summer break, so it can be easier for me.
You're already leaving it a bit late, aren't you? Better get on with it asap - there's no "quick & easy" way.

Presumably your teacher has given you a list of the tenses you need to know? For each of these, do the following:

- Learn the stem and the endings for all the regular verbs. There are three groups of verbs: those ending in -er, in -ir (where the ending in the nous form is -issons) and in -re/-ir. You don't need to learn each of the verbs separately as all the verbs in any one regular group will behave in the same way. So just learn how to find the stem and learn the endings for each of these three groups.

- Then take your teacher's list of irregular verbs that you need to know (on the basis that he/she has given you one) and learn each tense for each of them. You will find that in most cases the endings are regular, it is the stems that change.

- You will also need to learn the auxiliary verb which goes with each verb, in order to be able to form the passé composé (and other compound tenses which you'll come across later). There is no need to learn the passé composé as a separate tense for each verb, as long as you know whether the verb takes avoir or être, and as long as you know the past participle (for example, mangé; fini; vendu; parti).

- Make sure that you know how to form reflexive verbs - conjugating these is easy enough, but you mustn't forget that you need both the subject and the reflexive pronoun every time (for example: je me lève; tu te réveilles; il se souvient...)

Your teacher is certainly right: knowing your tenses thoroughly will make your studies a lot easier. And to learn them really well, you need to practise. So learn first, then head for exercises so that you can get to the stage where you can do your conjugations without thinking about them. Your teacher might have provided exercises, but if not, there are plenty of free websites that allow you to do this (like BBC Bitesize) or you can buy a book (like the Collins Easy Learning French Verbs and Practice).
FloralPrints
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im going into year 10 this September and yes your teacher is right. Learn your tenses before you go back in September. I did this in the summer. I learnt ALL the tenses. Learn the present tense regular -er, -ir and -re verbs, the irregular verbs faire and aller, the immediate future tense, the simple future tense, the past tense with avoir and etre and the perfect past tense. I know it sounds like a lot but i revised these in July aftter we broke up and it ensures that i wont have to keep going back to memorise my tenses in Year 10. I advice you to at least memorise the present,past and future tenses before you go back to school. Hope this helped
SBizzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by A.N123)
Im going into year 10 this September and yes your teacher is right. Learn your tenses before you go back in September. I did this in the summer. I learnt ALL the tenses. Learn the present tense regular -er, -ir and -re verbs, the irregular verbs faire and aller, the immediate future tense, the simple future tense, the past tense with avoir and etre and the perfect past tense. I know it sounds like a lot but i revised these in July aftter we broke up and it ensures that i wont have to keep going back to memorise my tenses in Year 10. I advice you to at least memorise the present,past and future tenses before you go back to school. Hope this helped
Thanks, I'm gonna start tomorrow I keep procrastinating.. How can I stop this?
SBizzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by A.N123)
What revision resources did you use?
marciemallow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I found it really helpful to make a grid with verbs along the side and conjugate it into each tense going along, it helped me to find patterns (like the stem for future and conditional being the same), and to just break it up into chunks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Quirky Object
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

http://la-conjugaison.nouvelobs.com/ is a genuine lifesaver when it comes to learning French (and Spanish) conjugation. You only need to know the indicative mood for GCSE and you don't need to know the passé simple or any anterior tenses, so don't worry about those (the site shows all the tenses that exist in French).

I suggest looking up a regular verb from each group (-er, -re, -ir) and then dealing with the irregulars. Also note which verbs take the auxiliary être and which take avoir in the compound past tenses (you probably know them by "Mrs Van de Tramp").

Don't feel pressured to sit and memorise the tenses if you feel that it's going to bore you or won't stick in your head, by the way. It does help some people, but I got through my entire French-speaking career by learning tenses through use. We all learn differently, of course.
FloralPrints
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Quizlet was really useful and flashcards xxxx
FloralPrints
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Mainly quizlet xxxx
FloralPrints
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks, I'm gonna start tomorrow I keep procrastinating.. How can I stop this?
Put your phone away!!! Its the best thing to do. I usually put it in my room or give it to my mum. Also, just ste your mind to it. You want to learn these tenses so sset your mind to learn these tenses and crack down to business. The day before maybe plan out what time and how long your going to revise for so nothing delays you. xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.29%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.89%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.07%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.51%
No (255)
71.23%

Watched Threads