Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of doing AS Eng Lit, History, Psychology and Computing. Do these 'go together' at all and if not what would be better. I got 13 GCSE passes A*/A's/B's.

I have been thinking about Eng Lang rather than Lit - anybody know which is better?

I know I'm in the right place for some advice.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannadecide)
    I am thinking of doing AS Eng Lit, History, Psychology and Computing. Do these 'go together' at all and if not what would be better. I got 13 GCSE passes A*/A's/B's.

I have been thinking about Eng Lang rather than Lit - anybody know which is better?

Thanks.
    hiya
    i think they are a good combo. eng lang is definately easier than lit, but check if your school does and mix of both. i did english lang+lit combined. lit is more apprecited, but its also harder.
    what are you planning to do at uni btw? do you have an idea of which uni you would like to apply for?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Thanks.
    Have you ANY idea what you want to go on to do? If it's English or History, then probably OK but Psychology can be a bit 'non-traditional' for certain unis. If its Psychology that is your interest then I'd suggest Maths/Stats as there is quite a bit of that involved in such courses, I understand.

ReputationRep:
    Not having studied both language and lit I can't really compare myself... but I did Lit and I wouldn't change it for anything. If you love reading and you're willing to put in a bit of hard work, it's the best subject in the world Not that I'm even a tiny bit biased. Language has a reputation for being boring but easier.

ReputationRep:
    I think these subjects give a good combination. English literature and history go particularly well together, and as psychology is seen as a bit of a divide between arts and sciences, it would also go well with computing. These subjects should give you the opportunity to go on to a fairly broad range of university courses.

It depends what your preferences are within English. If you love reading and analysing novels, poems and plays, literature would be the better option. If you prefer exploring different types of language and writing and enjoy creative writing, language would be better. If your school/college offers it, the new combined course would give you the best of both worlds and I believe it is well-respected.

Hope this helps, congratulations on the excellent GCSE results and best of luck for next year!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies so far...hope for some more advice if possible please.

I don't really know what I want to do at Uni so I would like to try to do subjects to keep my options open!?!?

Forgot to say I will be doing AS Citizenship (I have to!) whatever that is?

ReputationRep:
    even tho eng lit is harder, i say stick with it. this way your choice is open - you have an 'art' (lit), a science (computer science), a humanities (hist and also citizenship) and i think pscology might be a science too. this is quite open so dont worry. unless you are going on to do eg medicine, biochemistry, engineering, most unis dont care about the subjects, only the grades and ucas points. from looking at your subjects i think you might go on to do law....like me (eng hist and citizenship v gd 4 this).

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Personally, I don't think that the subjects go together, but if you enjoy them, it doesn't matter! I would say though that English Language goes better with Psychology than English Literature does (in my opinion). If you're into novels and poetry and analysing those for the most part, then you'd enjoy English Literature me. However, if you're interested in analysing a wider variety of texts and even writing your own pieces using awareness of particualr audience groups and the idea of learning about efatures of language of different people, body language etc, then you'd enjoy English Language more. I think to a certain extent, that with English Languagem you can use your imagination mroe than you can with English Literature.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies so far...hope for some more advice if possible please.

I don't really know what I want to do at Uni so I would like to try to do subjects to keep my options open!?!?

Forgot to say I will be doing AS Citizenship (I have to!) whatever that is?
    Citizenship is a combination of Law, Sociology and Politics applied to real life. Apparently, it's pretty easy - but only if you're doing one or more of the above topics.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. If you were going to replace a subject in Eng Lit, History, Psychology and Computing - what would it be, and why?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. If you were going to replace a subject in Eng Lit, History, Psychology and Computing - what would it be, and why?
    Well three are essay based and one isn't. Personally, I'd replace Computing with something else like Law or Politics (these tie in well with History and Psychology). However, I reckon that your subject combination is just fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBlueUK)
    Citizenship is a combination of Law, Sociology and Politics applied to real life. Apparently, it's pretty easy - but only if you're doing one or more of the above topics.
    i swear i did that in politics:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    i swear i did that in politics:rolleyes:
    In a very, very condensed form. Citizenship in Politics is a lot different from citizenship as an AS Level.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.