Will I be ok with C's and D's if i want to do an apprenticeship after college?

Watch
someonesanon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I was thinking of doing an Lvl 3 or Lvl 4 apprentieship in the tech industry (e.g telecom work, server work) after college but I'm expected to get only C's and D's in my A level results. I'm probably only going to get a D in my results for Computer Science, but my other two subjects (Philosophy and English) should be at least a C or higher. Should I just resit my exams next year or should I just move onto doing apprenticeships? I haven't ruled out going to uni and doing a foundation course in something either (although haven't decided what yet).
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by someonesanon)
I was thinking of doing an Lvl 3 or Lvl 4 apprentieship in the tech industry (e.g telecom work, server work) after college but I'm expected to get only C's and D's in my A level results. I'm probably only going to get a D in my results for Computer Science, but my other two subjects (Philosophy and English) should be at least a C or higher. Should I just resit my exams next year or should I just move onto doing apprenticeships? I haven't ruled out going to uni and doing a foundation course in something either (although haven't decided what yet).
With regard to an apprenticeship, it depends what the provider asks for. Many just ask for GCSEs Which feels right to you, and which would help you get to where you want to be in the future?
squirrology
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You should be fine, the standard requirement for most apprenticeships is to have 5 GCSE grades at A*-C and in a related subject i.e IT

Higher Apprenticeships (Which are Level 4 and 5 - and equivalent to a Foundation Degree) mainly just ask for 2 A-Levels some employers are picky with the A-Levels you study and some do not care.

For example:
This CGI Higher apprenticeship is just asking for 2 C's at A-Level and 5 GCSE passes
https://www.ratemyapprenticeship.co....hip-programmes

Yet this Higher apprenticeship is only asking for 5 GCSE Passes and just ask if you are educated up to A-Level standard without specifying grades.
https://www.findapprenticeship.servi...ceship/-169847

Requirements vary depending on the employer but again there isn't really a need to worry because I'm sure you will find an apprenticeship suited for your grades.

Gingerbread101 Can this be moved to the Apprenticeships forum, please.
Danny Dorito
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just tagging in Apprenticeships Advice
Apprenticeships Advice
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by squirrology)
You should be fine, the standard requirement for most apprenticeships is to have 5 GCSE grades at A*-C and in a related subject i.e IT

Higher Apprenticeships (Which are Level 4 and 5 - and equivalent to a Foundation Degree) mainly just ask for 2 A-Levels some employers are picky with the A-Levels you study and some do not care.

For example:
This CGI Higher apprenticeship is just asking for 2 C's at A-Level and 5 GCSE passes
https://www.ratemyapprenticeship.co....hip-programmes

Yet this Higher apprenticeship is only asking for 5 GCSE Passes and just ask if you are educated up to A-Level standard without specifying grades.
https://www.findapprenticeship.servi...ceship/-169847

Requirements vary depending on the employer but again there isn't really a need to worry because I'm sure you will find an apprenticeship suited for your grades.

Gingerbread101 Can this be moved to the Apprenticeships forum, please.

Thanks Squirrology, very useful advice!

My experiences with apprenticeships made me learn there isn't just one level of an apprenticeship there is a lot to offer! For example, I've seen many of my friends that didn't go to college/didn't find the grades they were looking for a A-level, so they went into an advance apprenticeship which gave them equivalent qualification to A-Levels; this enabled them to move into a higher apprenticeship/degree apprenticeship i.e. CGI Apprenticeship. In fact, companies like Barclays and CGI offer internal opportunities where you complete their advance apprenticeship, and you could move into a higher apprenticeship upon successful completion.

Advance Apprenticeships entry level is usually GCSE level, this might be a good route to look at, then you could move into a higher apprenticeship.

Best of Luck, feel free to reply to this post!

- Ben
Apprenticeships Advice
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Each apprenticeship will ask for different qualifications, some may be specific, and some may only ask for a range (eg. GCSE A*-C)

Try using this link below to search for apprenticeships. You can filter your results to your preferences, location and levels.

https://www.findapprenticeship.servi...ticeshipsearch
Hope this helps
someonesanon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I got my results and they were much better than expected in Philosophy (B) and English (A). I managed to pass Computer Science but only got a D. Would it still be a good idea for me to pursue a apprenticeship in IT? I'm starting to look into uni, but I haven't applied for anywhere and still haven't decided what I should study. I might do Law, Philosophy or English Language, but I don't have any idea what path these degrees will take me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (386)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (297)
43.48%

Watched Threads