The Student Room Group

Insurance Claim

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWMTom
I'm probably not being crystal clear with my replies given it's gone midnight haha, no worries. I truly hope everything gets sorted swiftly for you :smile:

Thank you and no worries. I'm that annoyed I cannot sleep. Also I have uninsured loss protection as part of my policy will this aid me in the event the driver wasn't correctly insured?
Reply 21
Original post by Aidan.reed
Thank you and no worries. I'm that annoyed I cannot sleep. Also I have uninsured loss protection as part of my policy will this aid me in the event the driver wasn't correctly insured?

That basically helps you in recovering your excess, hire car costs, personal injury, etc.

If you've got a comprehensive policy, your insurer will sort out your car no matter what, but there are procedures for claiming from uninsured drivers, I believe.

Your insurance company should answer all your questions, and give you the number for the existing claims team to ask any questions that come to mind during the process :smile:
Update: I called my insurance provider this morning and logged the claim. I’m sending across the CCTV footage and pictures now. They’re seen too quick with the repair I’ve already had them calling me this morning to get it booked in to be repaired but will require me to pay my excess and then be reimbursed when the other party accepts liability. However I’m hesitant to do this atm as I want my insurer to have everything they need and ideally have the other party accept liability before it goes in for repair because I don’t fancy paying £600.
Reply 23
Update: I called my insurance provider this morning and logged the claim. I’m sending across the CCTV footage and pictures now. They’re seen too quick with the repair I’ve already had them calling me this morning to get it booked in to be repaired but will require me to pay my excess and then be reimbursed when the other party accepts liability. However I’m hesitant to do this atm as I want my insurer to have everything they need and ideally have the other party accept liability before it goes in for repair because I don’t fancy paying £600.

It's pretty hard for them not to accept liability, considering you have CCTV of it happening! I wouldn't worry about it - just pay your excess :smile:
Original post by IWMTom
It's pretty hard for them not to accept liability, considering you have CCTV of it happening! I wouldn't worry about it - just pay your excess :smile:

Exactly! My phone has not stopped ringing today! The insurance have referred me to a company called Nationwide to have the repairs done but I had a friend who took their car there and they did a terrible job and the reviews are terrible. There is one site where the reviews are amazing but this looks fake as 3000 + in like a month? I think not. I'm correct in thinking I can request another firm to take care of the repairs?
Reply 25
Exactly! My phone has not stopped ringing today! The insurance have referred me to a company called Nationwide to have the repairs done but I had a friend who took their car there and they did a terrible job and the reviews are terrible. There is one site where the reviews are amazing but this looks fake as 3000 + in like a month? I think not. I'm correct in thinking I can request another firm to take care of the repairs?

I believe you need to use the repairer the insurer puts you in contact with, or else they'll write the car off due to additional transport costs.

Don't quote me on that, but it's something you could ask your claim handler?
Original post by IWMTom
I believe you need to use the repairer the insurer puts you in contact with, or else they'll write the car off due to additional transport costs.

Don't quote me on that, but it's something you could ask your claim handler?

Ok, transport costs? The garage I'm proposing is significantly close :biggrin: I'll contact them tomorrow morning. On a side note my mother saw the van today and they've already had the area filled but obviously the decals are missing!
It's a good job I tool a lot of pictures
Reply 27
Ok, transport costs? The garage I'm proposing is significantly close :biggrin: I'll contact them tomorrow morning. On a side note my mother saw the van today and they've already had the area filled but obviously the decals are missing!
It's a good job I tool a lot of pictures

You may be alright then, but again, it depends on the insurers internal policies.

I wonder why the driver was so apprehensive about giving his details; do we have further information regarding his insurance?
I had a similar time when someone drove in to the back of me and then told me it was just a scratch and could be polished out. They ended up replacing the bumper. They didn't want me to go through the car insurance companies but I didn't trust that he would pay and said it was my decision. It is easier to let the insurance company liaise directly with the third party (that's what you pay them for) and you should report it anyway
Original post by IWMTom
You may be alright then, but again, it depends on the insurers internal policies.

I wonder why the driver was so apprehensive about giving his details; do we have further information regarding his insurance?

Not yet! When I went through everything that happened this morning they said they'd be contacting the other parties insurance to inform them of the incident so I'm assuming if anything was wrong It would've flagged then. The only thing I can think of is premiums in the future I imagine an incident likely to cost thousands will cause a hefty increase in premiums. Who knows, I'm just glad I made the right decision (with the assistance of yourself and others. I feel at peace now and don't have to worry about having it repaired privately, exchanging money and meeting people to get money I don't trust as far as I can throw them.

I will keep you updated over the next few days
Original post by Muserock
I had a similar time when someone drove in to the back of me and then told me it was just a scratch and could be polished out. They ended up replacing the bumper. They didn't want me to go through the car insurance companies but I didn't trust that he would pay and said it was my decision. It is easier to let the insurance company liaise directly with the third party (that's what you pay them for) and you should report it anyway

How did your claim turn out did they accept liability? See imaged attached don't think anyone can say it can polish out:
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 19.11.18.jpg
Reply 31
Not yet! When I went through everything that happened this morning they said they'd be contacting the other parties insurance to inform them of the incident so I'm assuming if anything was wrong It would've flagged then. The only thing I can think of is premiums in the future I imagine an incident likely to cost thousands will cause a hefty increase in premiums. Who knows, I'm just glad I made the right decision (with the assistance of yourself and others. I feel at peace now and don't have to worry about having it repaired privately, exchanging money and meeting people to get money I don't trust as far as I can throw them.

Awesome, please do! :smile:
The guy was trying it on. I put the claim in and my insurance company did the rest. My car was taken away, fixed and the guy's insurance company admitted liability fairly quickly (they didn't have much choice as when someone goes into the back of you, it is rarely your fault).

I had an accident a few years later but that was worse as I was injured but it was sorted in the end. Injuries tend to take much longer (again not my fault but just slightly more complicated)

Sounds as though he has insurance (the insurance company can check on the computer) so hopefully it should all be ok. Are you getting a hire car whilst they fix yours?

Thanks for updating us - you've definitely done the right thing here.
Update: My insurance provider do allow me to go to a garage of my choosing however in doing so I will not get a courtesy car and if the garage produces sub par work I would be responsible in dealing with it. As such I've decided I will go with the one my insurance recommended as it is more convenient for and any if any issues arise I don't have to do anything. Also It will be quicker as I won't need to wait for my Insurer to approve the quote.

I did call to confirm to confirm they had the CCTV footage however because it was 8AM the department had not started yet. I called back at 12PM but was on hold for 15 minutes. I will try again tomorrow at 9AM sharp.
Reply 35
Update: My insurance provider do allow me to go to a garage of my choosing however in doing so I will not get a courtesy car and if the garage produces sub par work I would be responsible in dealing with it. As such I've decided I will go with the one my insurance recommended as it is more convenient for and any if any issues arise I don't have to do anything. Also It will be quicker as I won't need to wait for my Insurer to approve the quote.

I did call to confirm to confirm they had the CCTV footage however because it was 8AM the department had not started yet. I called back at 12PM but was on hold for 15 minutes. I will try again tomorrow at 9AM sharp.

Sounds like everything is going well! :smile:
Update: So my car is going in for repair on Monday. I opted for the repair company I was referred to by the Insurance company. I also confirmed this morning that they had received the CCTV (I sent it in two formats to maximise there ability to view it) and the lady I spoke to said she was able to watch it then.

Hopefully I will have an update next week.
Reply 37
Update: So my car is going in for repair on Monday. I opted for the repair company I was referred to by the Insurance company. I also confirmed this morning that they had received the CCTV (I sent it in two formats to maximise there ability to view it) and the lady I spoke to said she was able to watch it then.

Hopefully I will have an update next week.

Anything from the other party?
Original post by IWMTom
Anything from the other party?

Nothing as of yet. Now that my insurer has the CCTV footage they can clearly see that it was the other drivers fault so hopefully it will speed things up a little. My farther last year had a similar issue where a wagon crashed into him outside his work and after the insurer got the footage they told him to get his car repaired and not deal with excess as they were very confident with the case. Hopefully something like that will happen and I don't even need to think about this again.
Reply 39
Nothing as of yet. Now that my insurer has the CCTV footage they can clearly see that it was the other drivers fault so hopefully it will speed things up a little. My farther last year had a similar issue where a wagon crashed into him outside his work and after the insurer got the footage they told him to get his car repaired and not deal with excess as they were very confident with the case. Hopefully something like that will happen and I don't even need to think about this again.

Gosh it's like a drama shoe with cliffhangers - I just want to know what dodgy insurance stunts the other driver pulled! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending