Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone got any pictures of lafrowda - is it really as bad as people say? ive been stuck with this accommodation (standard!) so please try to be positive for me!!

ReputationRep:
    darling, dont worry....the think with lofrawda is...yes its ugly, yes its a bit falling apart...but at the end of the day you didnt come to uni to be a boring sod and sit in your room all day! your in one of the best locations for doing stuff...so get out of your room and get involved <hehe, anyone recognise the quote?>

you'll have a great time and lots of great mates....

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but lafrowda standard is BAD. I wish I had seen it before I put it down as a choice. Some blocks are worse than others, and you are likely to be sharing with a large number of foreign students.

How can they justify £55 a week for lafrowda? I don't know how they have the nerve. 12 people to one shower?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dam)
    12 people to one shower?
    At once? How many girls?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dam)
    Yeah but lafrowda standard is BAD. I wish I had seen it before I put it down as a choice. Some blocks are worse than others, and you are likely to be sharing with a large number of foreign students.

How can they justify £55 a week for lafrowda? I don't know how they have the nerve. 12 people to one shower?
    i didnt put it down as a choice; i didnt even consider it!! that is what makes it worse! someone posted this link on the xnet forum:

http://test.stud.uni-bayreuth.de/~a7043/uk/j3.html

if lafrowda is anything like this - my parents will NOT leave me there!! they will freak out! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    i didnt put it down as a choice; i didnt even consider it!! that is what makes it worse! someone posted this link on the xnet forum:

http://test.stud.uni-bayreuth.de/~a7043/uk/j3.html

if lafrowda is anything like this - my parents will NOT leave me there!! they will freak out! :eek:
    Yep that is lafrowda standard, looks exactly like my old flat, I was in F3. There were a few shocked parents last september let me tell you! If you get some nice flatmates you will have a good time anyway so don't worry too much. Apart from the lack of a shower most mornings I could have lived there quite happily if my flatmates weren't such messy pigs who never tidied or washed up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dam)
    Yep that is lafrowda standard, looks exactly like my old flat, I was in F3. There were a few shocked parents last september let me tell you! If you get some nice flatmates you will have a good time anyway so don't worry too much. Apart from the lack of a shower most mornings I could have lived there quite happily if my flatmates weren't such messy pigs who never tidied or washed up.
    lol - great cant wait! my parents are the vocal irrate type!! they will be marching straight up to the accommodation office im guessing!!
    im definately having a shower every morning! no questions asked - even if it means im up at 5 am!!

ReputationRep:
    how big are the rooms - say in comparison to somewhere like rowe house?

ReputationRep:
    imagine a single bed...double it..and thats about the size of your room! and remember your desk/wardrobe are fitting into that space! your kitchen/dinner will be hyge and i think you get digital telly....so thats a bonus!<or at least people i know did> basically, your going to be squished...so my advice is to make sure you go to all the lofrawda parties in freshers week and make a good group of friends who live in enhanced lofrawda....that was you can crash their space!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    oh my god! is that how big the rooms really are??!!!! :eek: i was told they are just a bit smaller than rooms in rowe house!! :eek: thats teeny tiny!

ReputationRep:
    You could spend the £30 or so a week you've got spare (by being in cheaper accommodation) on alcohol and drown your sorrows, lol. I hope you manage to change rooms, it does look pretty bad

ReputationRep:
    no - i cant change...do you know if they've done any work to lafrowda? ive heard theyve upgraded some of the kitchens...im living in so much hope. i get claustrophobic - i shall probably go crazy in those rooms!! would it take THAT LONG to paint the bricks in the rooms white or something?? or even plaster them!!!

my parents are paying for accommodation and tuition fees. i think my mum will save the extra money and give it to me for second year - but thats not the point. money was not an issue, hence why i DIDNT choose lafrowda at all, let alone standard! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    How come you got stuck with that? What accomadation did u apply for?

ReputationRep:
    *insert girly scream here*. A big spider.

Continuing that theme, judging by the camp-bed Mr. Igor had and the apparent build quality, if you're on the top floor you could be roasting marshmallows all year long. I'll bring the ukelele.

Ollie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    How come you got stuck with that? What accomadation did u apply for?
    i applied for rowe house, st germans and nash grove (all ensuite obviously) - and the accommodation office havent even given me enhanced, they've given me standard lafrowda. i know its a tough job for the accommodation office, but surely they must have the same problem evey year with self-catered ensuite being oversubscribed and could conisder building more self-catering ensuite instead of catered ensuite, as the catered standard halls are actually inhabitable, which lafrowda standard doesnt appear to be! also, they should really allow less 1st years the opportunity to stay on for 2nd year. i dont know of that many universities across the country who allow quite so many first years to stay on - and at the expense of freshers. freshers dont really have a choice where they go - i dont know anyone in exeter and therefore would rather have uni accommodaion than the hassle of trying to share in private accommodation - so ive got to ACCEPT ANYTHING im given.
    soz to moan - YET AGAIN - im just still v annoyed. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    im in K block - anyone have any info on this...is it the WORST block'? it wouldnt surprise me!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    i applied for rowe house, st germans and nash grove (all ensuite obviously) - and the accommodation office havent even given me enhanced, they've given me standard lafrowda. i know its a tough job for the accommodation office, but surely they must have the same problem evey year with self-catered ensuite being oversubscribed and could conisder building more self-catering ensuite instead of catered ensuite, as the catered standard halls are actually inhabitable, which lafrowda standard doesnt appear to be! also, they should really allow less 1st years the opportunity to stay on for 2nd year. i dont know of that many universities across the country who allow quite so many first years to stay on - and at the expense of freshers. freshers dont really have a choice where they go - i dont know anyone in exeter and therefore would rather have uni accommodaion than the hassle of trying to share in private accommodation - so ive got to ACCEPT ANYTHING im given.
    soz to moan - YET AGAIN - im just still v annoyed. :rolleyes:
    That doesnt sound good at all! I want to go to Exeter and If I do (which is a big if since they probably wont make me an offer and even if they do i may choose to go elsewhere) I will apply for the same accomadation as you. St Germans looked gorgeous on the open day!

ReputationRep:
    my advice would be to you...to put down Nash Grove as your first choice, and then either rowe house or st germans, and then a safe place like lafrowda enhanced or st davids enhanced. it seems you have more chance of getting ensuite if you put down nash grove as first choice, as a lot of st germans and rowe house are given to 2nd years, and therefore unlikely you will get it. i suggest putting down st davids or lafrowda enhanced as they may let you in these, rather than sticking you in lafrowda standard.
    also, i have learnt from someone else in the same position to me that phoned up, that they allocate rooms in order of receiving results from UCAS - so you cannot guarantee that getting a form in early will have any difference to getting your chosen rooms, as you may still be bottom of the pile!
    this is the only advice i can give you, and for next year this may have changed, but i am simply giving you as much guidance as i can...GOOD LUCK..hee hee

ReputationRep:
    i got duryard catered, hamilton house or something beggining with H, is that bad??

ReputationRep:
    The best bit is the 'furniture' in the lafrowda bedrooms. Bed is smaller than a standard single, my feet hung off the end and I am not that tall maybe 5'11'', crap ancient wooden desk with draws that don't open, wardrobe with doors that don't shut and some wooden shelving. A sink which I can't fault, and that is your lot.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.