Maths
Double Award Science
English Lit
English Lang
French
History
Music (BTEC level 2)
Sociology
In my mocks I have been a bit unstable but I am passing. however, I want to pass highly, not by the skin of
my teeth.
I'm not worried about Music as I have been awarded Distinctions on that, and English is my favourite subject and I'm getting level 8s.
Maths is really freaking me out. I've had lots of 5s but I need at least a 7...
Also worried about Sciences. Getting 5s in that too but again I need 7s.
Sociology I got 71% so thats not too worrying
History is also freaking me out. i only get like 6s at the most.
Does anybody have any tips to help me boost my marks, particularly for Maths and Science?
thanks
Reply 1
Don't worry you have a whole year to work on your grades, more than enough time!
For science go over the spec and ensure you know the content and most importantly that you understand it.
For maths, practice a lot of questions as well as go over methods you don't understand.
If you need any other tips feel free to ask!
Original post by NerdyHannah
I'm really stressing. My current GCSE subjects are:
Maths
Double Award Science
English Lit
English Lang
French
History
Music (BTEC level 2)
Sociology
In my mocks I have been a bit unstable but I am passing. however, I want to pass highly, not by the skin of
my teeth.
I'm not worried about Music as I have been awarded Distinctions on that, and English is my favourite subject and I'm getting level 8s.
Maths is really freaking me out. I've had lots of 5s but I need at least a 7...
Also worried about Sciences. Getting 5s in that too but again I need 7s.
Sociology I got 71% so thats not too worrying
History is also freaking me out. i only get like 6s at the most.
Does anybody have any tips to help me boost my marks, particularly for Maths and Science?
thanks

I have just finished my GCSEs this year.

For science I turned the spec into flashcards which meant I could constantly test myself. I would also recommend that you watch some videos on the freesciencelessons channel on YouTube as he gets straight to the point, explaining the topics clearly, so watch the videos of the topics you are unsure of. I would also attempt some past papers, even though the new spec is different, there are lots of similarities between the topics so these could be helpful.

For maths I would get a revision guide and a workbook (ideally the one by your exam board, I was with edexcel and I found their workbook really useful). As with science, I would watch some Youtube vidoes on topics you don't understand, I found mathsgenie to be really helpful. There are also lots of practice materials for the new maths GCSE on the internet, so search up '9-1 maths gcse practice' (and maybe your exam board too), and there are some great resources.

For both maths and science, make sure you LEARN THE FORMULAE. For the new GCSE you won't get any of the science formulae, and only a couple in the maths exam, so it's vital you learn them. I would advise that you write out all of the ones that you need to know on flashcards, and test yourself regularly. Once you have learnt the formulae, use them in practice questions as you need to be know how to use them in a question.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply