The Student Room Group

Long Story

Hi I'm currently in my fifth year at an independent school in Manchester. I know this may seem very early to be concerned (or in fact bothered) about this kind of thing, but I really want to do as much as I can at a younger age to relieve some pressure that goes on during the application process in a few year's time!
I want to study medicine at a good university - the ultimate dream would be oxbridge - but I've heard some things (not too sure if it's true) about needing a crazy number of A*s at GCSE and A level (due to the competitiveness of the course) is this true? I am bright and I do well in exams, if I work hard, but how much do the extra things count? I am a grade 8 violinist and pianist, I take part in multiple school/outside productions and I am in a prestigious choir among other things that show a lot of commitment. I read about the subject and do things like future learn and I research, research, research! However I'm guessing this doesn't count for much.

Do you think it matters if I go to a independent or state school? A lot of people say oxbridge take on more and more state school students nowadays.

I must also add I am not just saying I want to do medicine because I'm 'good at science' (even though I do). I'm not naturally the brightest person but I am academic and work hard - the main reason I am so keen is due to so many telling me I would be a great doctor due to my manner and character (I have an interest in obstetrics).

Thank you!
You do need good grades to get into med school. Currently the minimum requirements are AAA at A level, some unis requiring more. Lots of A*s at GCSEs and A level will help you but aren't necessary. You can look up the admissions statistics for medicine at Oxford which give you a pretty good picture of Oxbridge standards - roughly speaking Cambridge cares more about A levels and less about GCSEs.

Your extracurriculars sound good. They'll help you when applying for university, although probably not a huge amount.

I think it's great that you're ambitious and have goals but I think you shouldn't take applying for medicine for granted just yet. Explore different career options, get some work experience and be honest with yourself about what things you find interesting, what kind of job you'd like to have and what kind of uni you'd enjoy going to. If you end up deciding that medicine is for you then you'll have plenty of time to worry about your application a few years down the line.

Good luck. :smile:
Original post by StationToStation
You do need good grades to get into med school. Currently the minimum requirements are AAA at A level, some unis requiring more. Lots of A*s at GCSEs and A level will help you but aren't necessary. You can look up the admissions statistics for medicine at Oxford which give you a pretty good picture of Oxbridge standards - roughly speaking Cambridge cares more about A levels and less about GCSEs.

Your extracurriculars sound good. They'll help you when applying for university, although probably not a huge amount.

I think it's great that you're ambitious and have goals but I think you shouldn't take applying for medicine for granted just yet. Explore different career options, get some work experience and be honest with yourself about what things you find interesting, what kind of job you'd like to have and what kind of uni you'd enjoy going to. If you end up deciding that medicine is for you then you'll have plenty of time to worry about your application a few years down the line.

Good luck. :smile:

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest