Double Jaw Surgery.

Watch
laulgardiner
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi. My name is Lauren. I am 19 years old and I am currently 5 weeks and 6 days post-op. Luckily, I had friends who went through jaw surgery themselves, therefore I had people to ask questions but I am aware that someone, somewhere may not have that advantage. As a result, I want to answer any questions that people may have regarding jaw surgery as it is a major life changer.
JamesH2017
Badges: 14
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by laulgardiner)
Hi. My name is Lauren. I am 19 years old and I am currently 5 weeks and 6 days post-op. Luckily, I had friends who went through jaw surgery themselves, therefore I had people to ask questions but I am aware that someone, somewhere may not have that advantage. As a result, I want to answer any questions that people may have regarding jaw surgery as it is a major life changer.
It's great that you would like to help others - can you outline what surgery you had and why?

Just think that would be good if you can so people know.

I hope your recovery is going well.
laulgardiner
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Oops. Probably should have said that lol! Ok so I inherited an underbite from my dad's side of the family, which became quite severe. So the bottom jaw was further forward than the top jaw. The gap between both jaws measured 11mm. The surgery I had is scientifically known as bi-maxillary osteotomy which is where they cut and pulled back my bottom jaw and cut, lifted and pushed forward my top jaw. Thank you. Recovery is, for me, going smoothly.
student.geog1
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
hi I think I have the same condition you did, i have had braces for a year and a few months so I will looking to have surgery within the next year hopefully. I've debated whether to take a gap year (mainly so I can heal from surgery without many distractions) but have decided not to and will be starting university this September. did you go through surgery whilst in university, I'm pretty self conscious of my underbite and face prpfile. how was your general experience of it? thank you xx
eviems
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hello, I am in the same position as you now I am not sure when I am due for surgery but I don’t know what to do about university as I am going next year
Hannahburne
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by eviems)
Hello, I am in the same position as you now I am not sure when I am due for surgery but I don’t know what to do about university as I am going next year
Hiya, I'm in the same position and am Year 13. My surgery is due to be in December but has already been delayed due to covid so I'm just hoping it goes ahead
eviems
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hannahburne)
Hiya, I'm in the same position and am Year 13. My surgery is due to be in December but has already been delayed due to covid so I'm just hoping it
goes ahead
i wish you all the best for your surgery 💪 hope my place comes along soon
zcqs3103
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Can I ask you how long you had braces on both before and after your surgery? I'm assuming you had the surgery done on the NHS - how were the waiting times? Did you find you had braces on much longer than you actually needed due to waiting times?
3ggfriedrice
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by laulgardiner)
Oops. Probably should have said that lol! Ok so I inherited an underbite from my dad's side of the family, which became quite severe. So the bottom jaw was further forward than the top jaw. The gap between both jaws measured 11mm. The surgery I had is scientifically known as bi-maxillary osteotomy which is where they cut and pulled back my bottom jaw and cut, lifted and pushed forward my top jaw. Thank you. Recovery is, for me, going smoothly.
I’ve an underbite too and will need to undergo jaw surgery when I’m 18+, did the gap alter your speech and eating?
katerebecca
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Hi. I have an overbite and was placed on the waiting list for braces over a year ago. I have an appointment at the ortho next week, does anyone know if I will actually be getting the braces on then? I will also be getting jaw surgery at some point ! Unfortunately for me I’m in my first year of Uni so will have to navigate it with braces and surgery 🥴
3ggfriedrice
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by katerebecca)
Hi. I have an overbite and was placed on the waiting list for braces over a year ago. I have an appointment at the ortho next week, does anyone know if I will actually be getting the braces on then? I will also be getting jaw surgery at some point ! Unfortunately for me I’m in my first year of Uni so will have to navigate it with braces and surgery 🥴
Do you think recovery from jaw surgery will affect your uni studies if it takes place during term?
eviems
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Depends on your orthodontist, unless they cancel the appointment you will probably get them then. I will have to do the same as I’m going uni this year 🏃*♀️😃
katerebecca
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by 3ggfriedrice)
Do you think recovery from jaw surgery will affect your uni studies if it takes place during term?
Honestly I am quite worried that it will. I’m on a 3 year course but am thinking of applying to do a Year in Placement which would lengthen my degree by a year. If I am to get braces this year it would be likely I would have jaw surgery either during this placement year or during final year, so it’s definitely on my mind as a big worry. Once I find out more about my timeline I will speak to my uni asap though, plus I know the hospital is usually quite accommodating of exams etc
username5526246
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
i can become the cart titan if i take this surgery?
katerebecca
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Depends on your orthodontist, unless they cancel the appointment you will probably get them then. I will have to do the same as I’m going uni this year 🏃*♀️😃
Ooh thanks! I’ll be amazed if I do haha, I was told I’d be waiting at least a year, even four years!! And then with the pandemic I thought I’d be waiting even longer but I got my letter after being put on the waiting list october 2019. Are you also getting your braces this year and getting jaw surgery too? I’ve been amazed at just how common it is, I’ve read so many stories of people in similar situations
eviems
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Honestly I am quite worried that it will. I’m on a 3 year course but am thinking of applying to do a Year in Placement which would lengthen my degree by a year. If I am to get braces this year it would be likely I would have jaw surgery either during this placement year or during final year, so it’s definitely on my mind as a big worry. Once I find out more about my timeline I will speak to my uni asap though, plus I know the hospital is usually quite accommodating of exams etc
Same yes I have the same worry, I’m not sure when my jaw surgery would be and I’m not sure how long the waiting list actually is (cause they are usually quite long). But, universities are usually accommodating to conditions such as these. I try not to worry too much because it always works out in the end, but do be sure to update on your progress - I’d be interested to know!
katerebecca
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Same yes I have the same worry, I’m not sure when my jaw surgery would be and I’m not sure how long the waiting list actually is (cause they are usually quite long). But, universities are usually accommodating to conditions such as these. I try not to worry too much because it always works out in the end, but do be sure to update on your progress - I’d be interested to know!
Exactly! I’d much rather go through the stress and get out the other end with a healthier mouth, no jaw pain and headaches and higher self esteem! It will be worth it! Thank you so much!! I actually started a blog recently that I want to use to detail my journey: www.fallenlvsblog.WordPress.com and please keep us updated too!! I must admit I’ve become a little addicted to reading and watching other people’s journeys!!
eviems
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Exactly! I’d much rather go through the stress and get out the other end with a healthier mouth, no jaw pain and headaches and higher self esteem! It will be worth it! Thank you so much!! I actually started a blog recently that I want to use to detail my journey: www.fallenlvsblog.WordPress.com and please keep us updated too!! I must admit I’ve become a little addicted to reading and watching other people’s journeys!!
For sure! It will be so worth the short term stress and pain for the rest of your life for them benefits! For sure I will keep following your blog cause yes I’m the same, I’m so interested in what other people went through and the results before and after are always great! We will get through it and we’ll have the best jaws in the end ahaha!!
alevel20203
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
How long did you have braces after surgery? How quick does the pain go away? How soon until you can eat something that isn’t soft? Is there any restrictions post surgery like is there a limit where you can’t do physical activity? If so, how long?
XkulsumX
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Heyy, I was meant to have double jaw surgery last March and tbh the wait is killing me.

Does anyone feel the same?

This process can feel so isolating at times
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (6)
8%
Okay (25)
33.33%
A bit lacking (21)
28%
Not good at all (23)
30.67%

Watched Threads