Is post game depression common among gamers? Watch

HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I sometimes become moody after finish playing the campaign mode of a game or an RPG game. This can go on for weeks.

Most recently i just finished playing chrono cross and its emotional ending usually makes me feel stuck in the game world and want more.

Another being starcraft 2 WOL.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got a little sad when I finished Divinity.
prostheticzeta
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
portal was heartbreaking
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I went on a real emotional roller coaster when I played The Last of Us, looking forward to going on another one when the next game is released.
Picnic1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
I went on a real emotional roller coaster when I played The Last of Us, looking forward to going on another one when the next game is released.
Whilst it's a lot better than a lot of other games, I still feel that Naughty Dog are
rarely as good at emotion as they - or some others - might think they are.

Giant Sparrow are arguably the masters- with The Unfinished Swan and What Became of Edith Finch. Playdead
coud be up to their level if they attempted that kind of game instead of side scrolling platformer.

Playing The Last of Us, I was too aware of all the influences from other games that clearly seemed upon the game - a city on lockdown like Half LIfe 2, certain environments that were like homage to Silent Hill (The DLC left behind surely clearly is a
homage to SH3- a shoipping centre, creepy mannequins). It made me aware that their influences were in some way better games at certain things, that The Last of Us invites us to identify with a brutal killer who we're supposed to root for because his own daughter died. That's not how morality works. So this is subjective morality game but the implication of that is never really addressed I feel. Unless the sequel makes it clear that Joel is a pretty messed up man actually (who wouldn't be so keen to protect Ellie if she wasn't a girl - yes, he's in a little 'father figure' dubious relationship territory) I don't see the point.
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I feel ****ty after a load of **** OW matches... because they can be really unenjoyable at times.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I mean the obvious answer, besides the game being sad, is that someone who plays games excessively is doing it to fill a void in their life and once you 'complete' a game then you are left with the realisation that your life is still empty.
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, I had it for like a week after completing the Mass Effect Trilogy

Spoiler:
Show

and then again after i completed Andromeda, but for very different reasons :lol:

Kravence
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Its same feeling you get after finishing a book, project etc. I wouldn't call it depression but instead a withdrawal period while you find something else to replace the time you would have spent on that game etc.
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
oh boy i started a thread that turned into something else
KG23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HucktheForde)
I sometimes become moody after finish playing the campaign mode of a game or an RPG game. This can go on for weeks.

Most recently i just finished playing chrono cross and its emotional ending usually makes me feel stuck in the game world and want more.

I dropped a crucial semi finals game of club penguin: game day and i cried, its totally normal dont worry
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No.

By the end, at worst you should be content or a little disappointed that it's over, that's it.
Officer Deeznuts
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hahah yeah my story is little different, compared to you all. Mine is, well i was depressed that Alex mason was not in call of duty black ops three ;......(
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am surprised at the responses in here.
Future-Barista
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've completely avoided finishing p5 solely due to it. Like I honestly don't want to see the story come to a definitive end yet, but I'll probably try to force myself to finish before Christmas.
FlowerTron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bioshock :'( All of them.
bobab
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kravence)
Its same feeling you get after finishing a book, project etc. I wouldn't call it depression but instead a withdrawal period while you find something else to replace the time you would have spent on that game etc.
so a "what do i do now" feeling
noggins
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HucktheForde)

You can always jump back in again by choosing new game

I frequently notice Chrono Cross being mentioned on TSR and don't entirely understand why. The game never had a european release. Did you grow up in US or import it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (198)
67.81%
No (94)
32.19%

Watched Threads