Samthefan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is this ok, i don't know if i would be ok learning in a manuel because of my dyspraxcia
scrunkie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do what you want lol
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well both is fine, but bear in mind - learning to drive a manual allows you to drive both. Learning to drive an automatic only allows you to drive an automatic. Most learn to drive in manual, even if they eventually only drive an automatic (this is very common in the US, where manual cars are pretty unusual). You can discuss your needs relating to your dyspraxia with the instructor, and the test givers - they may be able to make accommodations, or they may recommend learning to drive in automatic only. Either way, those people will be better positioned to advise in terms of taking and passing the test, although for how you wish to drive after that it really depends on your own preference.
Samthefan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
But it won't make me look stupid
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
try a manual first, if you cant then automatic it is
username3079870
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Samthefan)
But it won't make me look stupid
Some of the best, most desirable cars are automatics. No one will care really except you. There are 40000 drivers a year in the UK who do automatic tests, and 100s of thousands with an automatic license (to say nothing of the many people with a manual license who prefer driving automatic cars).

I wouldn't worry about it.
TheConfusedMedic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Driving an automatic is absolutely fine. Go for it if you think you'll feel more comfortable.
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Samthefan)
Is this ok, i don't know if i would be ok learning in a manuel because of my dyspraxcia
Totally fine. If you think you would be better off learning auto then go for it. Just means you won't be licensed to drive manual, but you can always start learning manual later on once you're comfortable with auto.
Nobody needs to know you only have an auto licence. Loads of people with manual licences choose to drive auto cars.
If you were to rent a car then it might be a bit more difficult or expensive, but that's about the only down side I can think of.

You might like to try a manual to see how it feels (maybe ask a parent to take you into an empty car par/ field or get a lesson), but there's no real reason you shouldn't just do auto.
Jamiefromipswich
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can't advise you on the medical side of things but I don't think it's worth doing an auto license. It will mean that for the rest of your life you will only be able to dive an auto, unless you take another test which seems pointless to do it all again. As said you can get a manual license and only buy auto cars if you wish. Having an auto license can be a real pain down the line if you need to rent/burrow a car or van.
Learner_Driver10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by surina16)
Driving an automatic is absolutely fine. Go for it if you think you'll feel more comfortable.
Agreed. Automatic cars are becoming more popular and common as time goes on so if you feel that's the best option for you then go for it!

The only reason I'd think twice about learning in an auto is if you have/ or intend on getting a job where you might need to drive a company-provided car... that might be a little tricky if you can only drive a certain type of car.. but otherwise it shouldn't really be a problem
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did my manual test and drove manual for a year or two, then one day picked up an automatic and if I can help it I'm never driving manual again. Driving automatic just seems so much more chill, I've got a hand free to do whatever with and I live in a trafficky area where it often became tedious to constantly change gears in stop-start traffic. If you like in a busy area I'd recommend automatic tbh, unless you plan on buying a 15 year old car as the automatic models are considerably more expensive in such a case.
dickwhittington
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Id personally recommend at least attempting to learn in a manual as it is a useful skill to have and helpful if you ever come across a situation where you need to drive a manual car (Rental cars, friends cars etc) however having an Auto only license isn't as limiting as it was 10-15 years ago. Automatic cars are relatively common now and around the same price as their manual equivalents.
silverfox44
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm learning in an automatic after weeks of dreading my lessons because I hated manual so much. Best decision I ever made, automatic means you have so much less to worry about meaning you can just concentrate on the road and everyone I've told couldn't care less that I'm learning automatic! It's really not that much of a problem only being able to drive automatic, I still found a car for a very reasonable price and if it is a problem in the future you can always take a manual test. It's also still possible to hire cars, maybe a little less choice but when I did research there was plenty of countries that hire out automatics only for a couple quid more than a manual. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
SkyGazer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The main reason I did manual was because my friends kept telling me to. Manual took me a very long time to get a hang of and made me wish I chose automatic while learning. Now after passing I drive a manual car but still would rather have had an automatic car because I cba with the hassle. Unless you want to get a job in future that gives you a company car which will most likely be manual then don't learn automatic else just do it. In future manual cars will be a thing of the past if self driving cars don't take over first.
dickwhittington
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SkyGazer)
The main reason I did manual was because my friends kept telling me to. Manual took me a very long time to get a hang of and made me wish I chose automatic while learning. Now after passing I drive a manual car but still would rather have had an automatic car because I cba with the hassle. Unless you want to get a job in future that gives you a company car which will most likely be manual then don't learn automatic else just do it. In future manual cars will be a thing of the past if self driving cars don't take over first.
Manuals will always have their place with driving enthusiasts, I enjoy them because I feel much more involved with the process of driving
Also, clutch kick drifting
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads