Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

absolute freedom ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Human freedom is good.

"Freedom specifically in this case means freedom from being influenced by outside forces, influences external to a person and their mind. For example, if a person is being influenced by a want of an object, or wants of fame, or of revenge or millions of other reasons then Kant would say that they are not free, they are beholden (enslaved), to these outside influences. The state of being beholden to these outslide influences Kant labeled as heteronomy. The state of being free is that of autonomy Autonomy is the condition of something that does not depend on anything else. "

is it possible to be absolutely free? today i went out of the house wearing one of my mum's dresses from her young time, in knowledge that i wouldnt look like anyone else, i wouldnt be following any sort of trend. but then i started to feel so self-conscious and started to panic in a way. i am slave, i am slave

ReputationRep:
    Freedom is a paradox, if we people have the freedom to kill, people can't have the freedom to live without fear.

Liberty is by far a better aim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LinLee)
    Human freedom is good.

"Freedom specifically in this case means freedom from being influenced by outside forces, influences external to a person and their mind. For example, if a person is being influenced by a want of an object, or wants of fame, or of revenge or millions of other reasons then Kant would say that they are not free, they are beholden (enslaved), to these outside influences. The state of being beholden to these outslide influences Kant labeled as heteronomy. The state of being free is that of autonomy Autonomy is the condition of something that does not depend on anything else. "

is it possible to be absolutely free? today i went out of the house wearing one of my mum's dresses from her young time, in knowledge that i wouldnt look like anyone else, i wouldnt be following any sort of trend. but then i started to feel so self-conscious and started to panic in a way. i am slave, i am slave
    LinLee, I took your text, translated it into French via Altavista, and then back to English. I think this improves considerably on your original text.Here is the result:

Human freedom is good. the "Freedom means specifically in this case l'absence d'être influenced by the external forces, the external influences with a person and their spirit. For example, if a person is influenced by one to want d'un object, or fame wants, or revenge or million d'autres reasons then Kant would indicate qu'ils are not free, they are beholden (controlled), with the latter of the d exterior influences. L'état d'être beholden with these influences Kant d'outslide marked like heteronomy. L'état d'être freely is that of l autonomy d autonomy is l'état of something which does not depend on anything else. " ; is it possible d'être absolutely freely? aujourd'hui I left the house carrying one of my dresses of mum's of his young time, in knowledge that the glance of wouldnt of I like n'importe which d'autre, wouldnt of I follows n'importe which kind of tendency but then j'ai begun to feel me so timid and started to panic d'une manner I am Slavic, I am slave"

Don't thank me. Gern geschehen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minor_Deity)
    Freedom is a paradox, if we people have the freedom to kill, people can't have the freedom to live without fear.

Wonderfully put.
    By the definition that is supplied by the original post, one can only be truely free if they live in a vacuum.

ReputationRep:
    I don't define free as suffocating to death .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    I don't define free as suffocating to death .
    A vacuum is the only place where you can truely be free of all outside influences, including oxygen.

ReputationRep:
    There is freedom to do things and freedom not to do things. Ditto for things to be done to or for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minor_Deity)

thanks your right. dont know how i manage to find all these dilemas for myself, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LinLee)
    Human freedom is good.

Ah, but you wouldn't really be free wearing that dress either ... you'd just be succumbing to the current trend for retro/vintage fashion. Plus, the very need to feel individual or not wanting to look like anyone else is a social influence. In a nutshell: you're screwed.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.