The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymousmedic7
Is 677.5 a low score?

I think its fairly average
Reply 2
Though, this year's average score is still to be released. 677.5 is a fairly high UKCAT score. Good luck with your application
Reply 3
It's not low, but it's not the best, avoid unis such as Edinburgh, Newcastle and Sheffield as they usually interview applicants with a UKCAT of at least 700
Original post by coco.z
It's not low, but it's not the best, avoid unis such as Edinburgh, Newcastle and Sheffield as they usually interview applicants with a UKCAT of at least 700

What about kings?
Original post by Amelia2163
I think its fairly average

Oh :frown:
Reply 6
What about kings?

What are you GCSEs/predicted grades like? If they're good, you have a good chance, also if your personal statement is good
Original post by coco.z
What are you GCSEs/predicted grades like? If they're good, you have a good chance, also if your personal statement is good

Predicted: A*AA, GCSEs: 2A*, 7A, 1B. My personal statement is very strong but my grades are quite average
Reply 8
Original post by coco.z

I got average 610 on ukcat. GCSES I have 7A*s and 4As. I believe I have a very low ukcat score and am extremely worried, what unis would u recommend?
Reply 9
Original post by SJ4444
I got average 610 on ukcat. GCSES I have 7A*s and 4As. I believe I have a very low ukcat score and am extremely worried, what unis would u recommend?

You have a good chance at Birmingham (70% GCSE, 30% UKCAT) and Leicester (50% GCSE, 50% UKCAT) , but have a look at the scoring system for Leicester, and look at previous cut offs for interview to see if you'd get an interview. Also look at Liverpool.
Are you thinking about doing BMAT?
A question when do you take the ukcats ? Is it in year 13 after you got your offers ? What is the highest mark / score you can have?
Predicted: A*AA, GCSEs: 2A*, 7A, 1B. My personal statement is very strong but my grades are quite average

Look at Liverpool - they score GCSEs and UKCAT (A* and A at GCSE are scored the same), Exeter which looks at predicted grades and UKCAT, Bristol - 70% personal statement, and the rest is GCSE, predicted grades and UKCAT, Plymouth as it has a relatively low UKCAT cut off for interview. I don't know much about Scotland unis but you could have a look at them as well.
Original post by Rxha
A question when do you take the ukcats ? Is it in year 13 after you got your offers ? What is the highest mark / score you can have?

You take them summer of year 12/beginning of year 13. Highest mark is 900 and average is around 630
Original post by coco.z
Look at Liverpool - they score GCSEs and UKCAT (A* and A at GCSE are scored the same), Exeter which looks at predicted grades and UKCAT, Bristol - 70% personal statement, and the rest is GCSE, predicted grades and UKCAT, Plymouth as it has a relatively low UKCAT cut off for interview. I don't know much about Scotland unis but you could have a look at them as well.

Thanks so much
You take them summer of year 12/beginning of year 13. Highest mark is 900 and average is around 630

Oh thank you omg I have a year to practice from now
Clickbait. I was expecting your score to be around 500.
Original post by Ediesedgewick
Clickbait. I was expecting your score to be around 500.

Lmao sorry
Reply 17
Original post by Rxha
Oh thank you omg I have a year to practice from now

You only need to practice for around 4/5 weeks before your exam. There's no point starting now!
Wasn't too happy with my score either as all my medify mocks were mid 700 range but results were- verbal:640, dm:630, quantitative:750 (very odd as I had been getting no more than 600 in practices) abstract: 630 and SJ: Band 1, leaving me with an average of 663.

Anyone have an idea if this lower score means I should perhaps reconsider my current schools for application? I am thinking of applying to UCL (BMAT), Queen Mary, KCL (I have heard it is important to do well here in particular) and Edinburgh/Bristol. Possibly Oxford if I find out that my UKCAT schools are too risky with my score.

(I have 10 A* GCSEs and am predicted 41-43 out of 45 in the IB. Also have 2 weeks of work experience with a mix of NHS GP and hospital shadowing, and also a week of work experience abroad in a country where I have family. I volunteer weekly to teach at a secondary school for physical and mental disabilities and to a primary school to teach reading and spanish/french to dyslexic children.)
678 isn't low. Anything within 650-700 is an average UKCAT score and one you should be proud of.

I applied for Medicine last year and I managed to get a place at Manchester med school, but when my UKCAT score came out it wasn't as high as I had hoped and I was a little disappointed.

I've put together a blog post on some of the ways you can combat a score that you feel isn't high enough on the UKCAT to help you to still secure a place at medical school. I thought it might be useful for some of you to have a read of it here: masumahjannah.wordpress.com/low-ukcat-score

Latest