Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am starting a Rligious Studies AS level this year, to got alongside three A-levels (I dropped an AS to do it). I'll have course work on Plato and how he influenced Western Religions. Where should I look to?

ReputationRep:
    This course kicks some major arse

We didn't do any coursework (that's for A2 for us)... but good old Plato is someone we know rather well, lol.

You'll want to start looking at the allegory of the cave and the theory of the Forms and stuff. There's loads of information about it in various books aimed at AS philosophy study, and also on the internet. If you really want to go for the jugular, you could always try to read the Republic by the man himself

The comparisons between his way of thinking and modern Western religion come clear pretty simply, I found. Starting with the jolly obvious link between the sun/Form of the Good and the big man upstairs.

ReputationRep:
    Try and get hold of the book The Story of Philosophy by Bryan Magee (I found it in my local library), that has a bit on it. It's not majorly detailed, but it might help.

ReputationRep:
    Oh... and the first book we used was 'Foundation for the Study of Religion' by Libby A (something like Aluhwalia... can't remember exactly- we just called it the Libby Book!).

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.