Need advice on remark? Watch

SocialStudiesETC
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, so I got AABC in my Highers which is enough for International Relations at Edinburgh (my first choice university.) I am now in 6th year and have a year to go until I leave, however, although the grades meet the conditions of ABBB (114 tariff points), i got a B in modern studies which was disappointing from my perspective and the A would have bolstered my options of universities. I have requested a remark but I understand how risky it is. It turns out my exam was pretty strong but my assignment failed somehow despite it being of what I thought to be a decent standard? Does anyone have advice on whether I should actually go for the remark and if I will be okay for university with those grades? Thanks in advance.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SocialStudiesETC)
Hey, so I got AABC in my Highers which is enough for International Relations at Edinburgh (my first choice university.) I am now in 6th year and have a year to go until I leave, however, although the grades meet the conditions of ABBB (114 tariff points), i got a B in modern studies which was disappointing from my perspective and the A would have bolstered my options of universities. I have requested a remark but I understand how risky it is. It turns out my exam was pretty strong but my assignment failed somehow despite it being of what I thought to be a decent standard? Does anyone have advice on whether I should actually go for the remark and if I will be okay for university with those grades? Thanks in advance.
Is the assignment examinable, or coursework that's moderated?
SocialStudiesETC
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Is the assignment examinable, or coursework that's moderated?
I cannot get the the assignment marked by itself, if I get a remark, ALL of my coursework including the exam gets remarked. My exam was of an A standard, however my assignment brought my grade down.
leoq8
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I cannot get the the assignment marked by itself, if I get a remark, ALL of my coursework including the exam gets remarked. My exam was of an A standard, however my assignment brought my grade down.
I am having the exact same dilemma with my Business grade, I am 4 marks off an A which feel is a bit risky to remark
PTS_99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on how close you were to an A, and I would ask your teacher what grade they think your course assignment should have got and base your decision from that. I assume that you mean that you got no marks at all for the course assignment, which sounds more like an admin error to me but again talk to your teacher.

AABC doesn't necessarily limit your options of universities generally speaking, although I don't know about international relations. But remember that you'll have another opportunity this year to get more Highers (or AHs) which might broaden your options.
SocialStudiesETC
Rep:
?
(Original post by PTS_99)
It depends on how close you were to an A, and I would ask your teacher what grade they think your course assignment should have got and base your decision from that. I assume that you mean that you got no marks at all for the course assignment, which sounds more like an admin error to me but again talk to your teacher.

AABC doesn't necessarily limit your options of universities generally speaking, although I don't know about international relations. But remember that you'll have another opportunity this year to get more Highers (or AHs) which might broaden your options.
Sorry for being brief, i got 14/30 on the assignment but my teacher believes it should have been higher. I understand that the grades are of a decent standard and I have met a few entry requirements, however I would have loved to get that A. I need to pick up 6 marks in that remark in order to get an A, but like I said my teacher thinks it could go up by a bit. I am doing advanced higher history and modern studies this year.

Thanks for the reply
leoq8
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry for being brief, i got 14/30 on the assignment but my teacher believes it should have been higher. I understand that the grades are of a decent standard and I have met a few entry requirements, however I would have loved to get that A. I need to pick up 6 marks in that remark in order to get an A, but like I said my teacher thinks it could go up by a bit. I am doing advanced higher history and modern studies this year.

Thanks for the reply
I need 4 for an A but I feel it's so risky to remark seeing as your grade can also go down, I am unsure on whether or not to go ahead with it, are you?
PTS_99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks for the reply
Honestly for 6 marks I think it's way too risky. Unless your teacher really thinks you can gain a lot of marks (6 marks is a lot to gain in a course assignment) and that its quite realistic for you to get an A, I would just live with it I'm afraid. (Sorry I know that sounds quite blunt)
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You have posted this in the Scottish qualifications forum, I suggest you repost in the A level forum.

(Original post by Yasmangoola)
has anyone remarked AQA AS biology and chemistry yet?, how was it?
I need 2 ums for A in both should I get them remarked?
is it true that each paper costs 50 pounds?
should I ask for all the 4 papers to be remarked or ask for some of the papers?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.04%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (392)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.1%

Watched Threads