The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SteamboatMickey
I do!! I forgot to train up though, been playing animal crossing lately :redface: you wouldn't happen to play that, would you?

I broke that addiction once. I may possibly go back :biggrin:
Original post by Obiejess
I broke that addiction once. I may possibly go back :biggrin:

You should, it's pretty relaxing as a game, and I forgot how fun it is in a daft sort of way. You have to do the world-building yourself, so I feel like I'm a little kid again! :tongue:
Anybody heard if they’re getting the Cambridge bursary yet?
Thewinelake so your daughter is going to Christ's! I hadn't realised until I read above thoroughly... It will be interesting to meet her and to explain 'how I met your mother'
Original post by WhiteScythe
Thewinelake so your daughter is going to Christ's! I hadn't realised until I read above thoroughly... It will be interesting to meet her and to explain 'how I met your mother'

Father...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smurfist20

No not yet. I believe you find out when you actually get to Cambridge? I may be wrong...

Damn I've always wanted to use that phrase in a sentence
Original post by smurfist20

Original post by HolyRomanEmpire
No not yet. I believe you find out when you actually get to Cambridge? I may be wrong...

You get it if you meet the criteria, i.e. you're a UK/EU student with an assessed household income is less than £42,620.

Oops!

Although, bizarrely, Doonesbury is her grandfather.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by thewinelake
Oops!

Good to see I'm not the only one with mistaken gender in this forum. :biggrin:
Original post by thewinelake
Oops!

Lol. :smile:
Original post by Forecast
You get it if you meet the criteria, i.e. you're a UK/EU student with an assessed household income is less than £42,620.

I understand that, and I do fit that criteria. I was just wondering exactly when it will be confirmed and the bursary awarded.
Original post by HolyRomanEmpire
I understand that, and I do fit that criteria. I was just wondering exactly when it will be confirmed and the bursary awarded.

http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/cambridgebursary/eligibility-and-further-information

23rd October if you applied for student finance on time.
Hello. Just looking for some advice from any parents of existing Cambridge students, especially any students/parents from King's.
Just wondering about any practical tips for unloading all the stuff from the car on Friday (there is a lot) and getting it to Keynes building. Apparently there is limited parking at one of the hostels about 10 minutes away. What happens if there isn't anywhere to park? With most of the freshers from King's starting that day, I can imagine it is going to be slightly chaotic.
Please PM if you have any information/advice. I don't want to clutter up the thread.
Thank you.
Original post by Just_a_mum

Presumably they have suggested you unload in the King's Garden Court car park on West Road? In which case, there will probably be some (but paid) on street parking on West Road as well. If so, it's closer than 10 minutes away, but it's a bit of a faff with the traffic and tourists. There will probably be trolleys available to loads things into.

Don't know if this will work, but the parking they are suggesting is almost certainly just above the bowler hat in the middle of this link (or under garden court if it scales out) https://map.cam.ac.uk/#52.203425,0.110625,17

and you then have to go out onto West road, cross the backs and go in the back gate of Kings and up to Keynes (which is the building that has King's College written across it.

Zacken might know more
Hello. Just looking for some advice from any parents of existing Cambridge students, especially any students/parents from King's.
Just wondering about any practical tips for unloading all the stuff from the car on Friday (there is a lot) and getting it to Keynes building. Apparently there is limited parking at one of the hostels about 10 minutes away. What happens if there isn't anywhere to park? With most of the freshers from King's starting that day, I can imagine it is going to be slightly chaotic.
Please PM if you have any information/advice. I don't want to clutter up the thread.
Thank you.

Original post by threeportdrift
Presumably they have suggested you unload in the King's Garden Court car park on West Road? In which case, there will probably be some (but paid) on street parking on West Road as well. If so, it's closer than 10 minutes away, but it's a bit of a faff with the traffic and tourists. There will probably be trolleys available to loads things into.

Don't know if this will work, but the parking they are suggesting is almost certainly just above the bowler hat in the middle of this link (or under garden court if it scales out) https://map.cam.ac.uk/#52.203425,0.110625,17

and you then have to go out onto West road, cross the backs and go in the back gate of Kings and up to Keynes (which is the building that has King's College written across it.

Zacken might know more

If you get space right in front of the college (literally right in front of the gate) that'd be perfect. Perhaps ring the porters when you're entering Cambridge to check if there's space to park there. If not, as above, parking near Garden Hostel and then using a trolley (go to the porters lodge and get one) to drag everything through the back of King's is the second best option.

I personally parked in Grand Arcade, but I only had one suitcase. If you think dragging a few suitcases amongst the lot of you is manageable then grand arcade parking is also viable.
Original post by Zacken
If you get space right in front of the college (literally right in front of the gate) that'd be perfect. Perhaps ring the porters when you're entering Cambridge to check if there's space to park there. If not, as above, parking near Garden Hostel and then using a trolley (go to the porters lodge and get one) to drag everything through the back of King's is the second best option.

I personally parked in Grand Arcade, but I only had one suitcase. If you think dragging a few suitcases amongst the lot of you is manageable then grand arcade parking is also viable.

Thanks for your reply. The letter says absolutely no parking on King's Parade. We will have a car full and will definitely need a trolley. It is Garden Hostel that is given as an option in the welcome pack..
Original post by threeportdrift

Zacken might know more

Yes - that is where we have been told that there is limited parking in the welcome pack. Thank you for your reply. Good to know there may be some on street (paid) parking too. We used the park and ride when visiting for the open day and interview.
Since my Tapatalk app updated it keeps forgetting to tell me when people have posted on here 🙁 less than a week to go now though, so excited!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Yes - that is where we have been told that there is limited parking in the welcome pack. Thank you for your reply. Good to know there may be some on street (paid) parking too. We used the park and ride when visiting for the open day and interview.

Cars without a permission isn't allowed in at all in the very central part of town where King's is and there aren't many paid-parking-bays either. The best bet is probably Queen's Road with parking-bays most of the way on one side, but not always easy to find an unoccupied space. I suspect it's even busier on the days freshers are arriving.
For multi-storey car parks, Grand Arcade and Park Street car parks are the nearest to King's, but Fridays are always busy time for Grand Arcade and I'd suspect Park Street will be busier on the days freshers are arriving also, so please prepared that you may have to drive around a bit until you find a space in those options.

You'll get used to this routine after a while as you'll have to do it 6 times a year! :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending