Why do people actually become paralegals?

Watch this thread
username2799682
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I am a law student, and I understand that competition for training contracts are rising each year.

However, I picked up a common trend during my research. I have found that most paralegals at top law firms (magic circle) have all been to lower ranked universities for their law degree. This make sense as maybe they could not get a training contract since their degree was from a lower ranked university.

However, I also found some Oxford graduates and some LSE as well as some Warwick graduates who are paralegals as well.

I really don't mean to be mean, but I thought becoming a paralegal is for those who are either broke or cannot get a training contract. I am assuming it is the latter of the two since all these paralegals have LLM degrees and have already completed their LPC (and GDL if required).

So if you attend such great universities such as Oxford, Warwick and LSE why not just get a training contract?
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I would assume most training contracts have more places for internal candidates rather than external.
username2981082
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by billy_k)
So I am a law student, and I understand that competition for training contracts are rising each year.

However, I picked up a common trend during my research. I have found that most paralegals at top law firms (magic circle) have all been to lower ranked universities for their law degree. This make sense as maybe they could not get a training contract since their degree was from a lower ranked university.

However, I also found some Oxford graduates and some LSE as well as some Warwick graduates who are paralegals as well.

I really don't mean to be mean, but I thought becoming a paralegal is for those who are either broke or cannot get a training contract. I am assuming it is the latter of the two since all these paralegals have LLM degrees and have already completed their LPC (and GDL if required).

So if you attend such great universities such as Oxford, Warwick and LSE why not just get a training contract?
Maybe they are just happy with their job as a paralegal? Some people are happy where they are and don't feel like they need to move up on the career ladder. Nowadays, a lot of law firms give paralegals more legal work, making it more than just simply being a legal secretary. Depending on the law firm, paralegals can earn a nice salary. I've seen job ads where the salary is 30,000 pounds, which is decent.

I want to be a paralegal rather than a solicitor. The reason why is because I am not brilliant at doing client interaction and I don't want a job with a high level of responsibility that a solicitor position entails.

A paralegal is not a career to be looked down upon. It is still a good job. Law firms would not be able to run without paralegals. It is not just solicitors that make up a law firm.
Tia_mmalt
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Lol this is probably the most stupidest post I’ve ever read. It may come from a place of ignorance tbh.
Firstly, if getting a training contract was that easy, everyone who was interested in a legal career would have it lol.
Also, entry requirements generally for law firms entail having ABB at A level, which a lot of law students do not have.
This is generally the entry requirement needed to study at the higher ranking unis and also why you see those from the lower ranking ones not obtaining TCs from the City law firms as they manage to get into uni to study law with less than the ABB standard that is required but then struggle to meet the requirements for the majority of commercial City law firms.
(Original post by username2799682)

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.23%
The paper was reasonable (134)
36.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.67%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.29%

Watched Threads