The Student Room Group

Oxford Union

Is it worth joining?

I've only just worked out the difference between ousu and the union (now, sure, I can get into oxford, but figuring out the paperwork... that's a different matter!). On one hand, the Union seems to be a bit stuffy, a bit traditional, and I feel that it might be a bit of a waste of time and money to join. On the other hand, it could be interesting, and if i decide i do want to join, I'd probably be able to convince my parents that its so important, they should pay my membership fee (yes, I am shameless) but to do this, I'd have to join now, by post...

What should I do?
Join now, and get fees paid for me...?
Or wait and see, and possibly join later and pay the fees myself...?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm joining. I'd join just to go to the debates, see the speakers, etc., but the pound a pint bar and Purple Turtle sold it to me. And £150 for life isn't really *that* much. It's less than my first year textbooks cost! :confused:
Reply 2
You can always go as someone's guest for about £3, but certain things are members only.
Drogue
I'm joining. I'd join just to go to the debates, see the speakers, etc., but the pound a pint bar and Purple Turtle sold it to me. And £150 for life isn't really *that* much. It's less than my first year textbooks cost! :confused:

The PT sold it too you...how...that place is crap (although admittedly very popular). The Union will have you believe that absolutely everyone is a member but don't believe them, plenty of people aren't and I'd advise you to find out what it's like for yourself before joining/not joining on a recommendation or the bumpf they send to you before you come up.
Reply 4
I never joined and I must admit, I missed out on a lot because there were many events worth going to that were members only, at the Union. I joined during the third term and ended up paying about £20 extra but it's definitely worth it.
As an ex-committee member I should be urging you all to sign up. The honest truth is that if you make the most of the place then £160 is an absolute bargain. If you never bother going, then you've wasted your money. Free celebrity speaker events (since I arrived there's been David Blaine, Michael Moore, Sven Goran Eriksson, Pacey from Dawson's Creek, Matthew Perry, Patrick Stewart, Dave Gorman etc), debates with famous politicians/media people (BBC1 Question Time will be live from the chamber in October), £1 pints, free entry to PTs 7 nights/week, the cheapest black tie balls in Oxford, etc. So its obvious if you make the most of it then £160 for 3/4 years (what's that, £1/week) is a total bargain. The main reason members moan that they wasted their money is because they never bother / don't have time to go. Secondly people take it all for granted - do you get celebrity speakers turning up every few days at Leeds, Warwick, Manchester, Newcastle? No.
Reply 6
I'm joining for sure. The Union is legendary.
I got my Dad to pay :biggrin: - well, he can afford it more than me!
It looks very good and i think if it is something I can give time to while i'm there - which as a medic i know will be scarce it will look good on a CV as well as being an interesting time - the list of speakers seemed woth every penny, IMO
Reply 8
I have a Union membership, albeit given to me by my uncle, who was once President of the Oxford Union in the 70's.

Agree with Jools, if you're going to use it, it's a great deal; but if you're never going to go there, there's better thing you can spend £160 on. As for me, it was probable worth the money in the long run.
InterCity125
it will look good on a CV

What, saying you're a union member, along with the other 2,000+ people who join each year? Not really.
Jools
What, saying you're a union member, along with the other 2,000+ people who join each year? Not really.

I think he mean being an elected hack more than a common muck member.
Jools

No, being a hack more than just listening to the speeches - I hope that what i said stands but i will of course reconsider if you thinck otherwise - you know more about this kind of stuff than me!
The PT may be a ****hole but, in fairness, it does have that wonderful feeling of familiarity when you've been there every night for a year :smile: .
BazTheMoney
I think he mean being an elected hack more than a common muck member.

On the subject of common muck members it is slightly galling that most of your £140 seems to be spent on drinks and meals for members of the various committees. It would be nice if the Union invested a little more money in what it does for members rather than providing perks to hacks and their mates, eg Pressie drinks.
Reply 14
house badger
The PT sold it too you...how...that place is crap (although admittedly very popular).

Well, it may be crap in the way that everyone likes to slag off college food, but it was voted on here as the best bar in Oxford (narrowly, ahead of the Bridge and one other, IIRC), so I'm presuming there are some people that like it. To me, any bar that's cheap and sells cocktails is a great thing, seeing as in Northampton, if you want cocktail you pay through the nose. Unless you're an ex-barman like me and get discounts, that is :biggrin:
house badger
On the subject of common muck members it is slightly galling that most of your £140 seems to be spent on drinks and meals for members of the various committees. It would be nice if the Union invested a little more money in what it does for members rather than providing perks to hacks and their mates, eg Pressie drinks.

The officers and Standing Committee work over the vacation to get speakers, debates and events for next term and don't get paid a penny; in fact they end up having to pay a fair bit for accommodation. Pressie drinks is often funded by whoever sponsors the Thursday debate rather than your money. A few inexpensive drinks for the hacks and their mates is a decent reward for a lot of hard work, and it doesn't take away a big slice of membership fees, contrary to what a lot of people think.
No the PT really is a hole! Although admittedly a well placed, cheap hole within walking distance of most of the colleges, perhaps explaining its popularity. Its not very good but its easy and practical is the bottom line.
Jools
The officers and Standing Committee work over the vacation to get speakers, debates and events for next term and don't get paid a penny; in fact they end up having to pay a fair bit for accommodation. Pressie drinks is often funded by whoever sponsors the Thursday debate rather than your money. A few inexpensive drinks for the hacks and their mates is a decent reward for a lot of hard work, and it doesn't take away a big slice of membership fees, contrary to what a lot of people think.

I'm sorry I didn't realise what charitible good people Union hacks were!
house badger
I'm sorry I didn't realise what charitible good people Union hacks were!

And they're all completely selfless, toiling away just to please the members of course, not in the slightest thinking of any personal gain :rolleyes:
house badger
No the PT really is a hole! Although admittedly a well placed, cheap hole within walking distance of most of the colleges, perhaps explaining its popularity. Its not very good but its easy and practical is the bottom line.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/oxford/clubbing/weekinclubbing/saturday/purple_turtle.shtml
If you're interested in a good club with good up-to-date music, a decent-sized dancefloor etc then it's a hole, if you want a cheap booze-filled evening with your mates then it's great.

Latest

Trending

Trending