sophieemma27
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey! I'm about to go into my third year of BA English Language and I need to write a dissertation proposal...but I have NO idea what to do it on (((
Anybody got any ideas?? I was thinking something gender related, and in general I'm pretty interested in makeup and fashion, so maybe something connected to that industry? Any suggestions would really help...thanks
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What's your brief/guidelines in terms of the scope required?
username3079870
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sophieemma27)
Hey! I'm about to go into my third year of BA English Language and I need to write a dissertation proposal...but I have NO idea what to do it on (((
Anybody got any ideas?? I was thinking something gender related, and in general I'm pretty interested in makeup and fashion, so maybe something connected to that industry? Any suggestions would really help...thanks
Have you any interested in tech or AI at all? I've a CS background and I've done a little work on Natural Language Processing (NLP). It's a field of AI relating to how computers understand human languages.

It's a very interesting field and it may lead to interesting developments in human language. Not sure if you've seen this but it was interesting in terms of NLP:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7869706.html

You could write a high level, non-tech paper on the subject and maybe look at something like NLP and gender.
sophieemma27
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
What's your brief/guidelines in terms of the scope required?
It's pretty open in terms of the brief. I can basically write it on anything I want providing it's english language related and there's enough material on the subject to write 10,000 words!
DrSocSciences
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok, so the existing material element is really important, and often underestimated. It's not an MA, let alone a PhD, so keep it simple and deliverable, and on something that interests you.
sophieemma27
Rep:
?
(Original post by jestersnow)
Have you any interested in tech or AI at all? I've a CS background and I've done a little work on Natural Language Processing (NLP). It's a field of AI relating to how computers understand human languages.

It's a very interesting field and it may lead to interesting developments in human language. Not sure if you've seen this but it was interesting in terms of NLP:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7869706.html

You could write a high level, non-tech paper on the subject and maybe look at something like NLP and gender.
Oh wow, I never considered anything tech related but I must say this does sound interesting! How would I incorporate gender though?
username3079870
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh wow, I never considered anything tech related but I must say this does sound interesting! How would I incorporate gender though?
Well you could look at sentiment in language. It's a fairly new area in AI, but there have been some interesting results. For example, here's a nice conference paper (ignore the math if you like) that shows that sports journalists ask male tennis players more questions about the game compared to female tennis players:

https://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/llee...der-tennis.pdf

I will try and find a few more examples of how NLP is identifying gender bias in human language, but that's one area. The main benefit of NLP is it can examine say, a million tweets in a few hours and find patterns that we humans would never detect.

On a slightly darker note, AI and NLP are also being used to supplant journalists. Might this lead to an end to gender bias in journalism? Might be worth looking in to

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/robots-wrote-this-story/
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unfortunately make up has nothing to do with language.

However, fashion can. You could look at how both genders have different words for different items and what does that represent for the gender and their sexualities. But as someone said, you need to make sure your topic has a lot of academic writings and studies to your topic, otherwise you can't really write about anything.

You need to remember, your diss is going to be about language, not fashion.

You could look at why there's twice as many clothing terms or different clothes to men and what that means to their sexualility. For example, do men associate wrist jewelry like women do; i.e how to men feel about saying "bracelets" or why do men say "chains" rather than "necklace". And how does that relate to the meaning of language in fashion. So things like that you can try and write about. Whether this has been documented is something you'd need to follow up if you take this particular approach.

But your idea sounds very interesting though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (111)
59.68%
No (40)
21.51%
Not sure (35)
18.82%

Watched Threads