White Supremacist violence adds momentum to removal of Confederate statues Watch

ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
These idiots are helping get rid of their stupid participation trophies

"Cities and states accelerated their plans to remove Confederate monuments from public property Tuesday as the violence over a Robert E. Lee statue in Charlottesville, Virginia, moved leaders across the country to plan to wipe away much of the remaining Old South imagery."

https://apnews.com/6161a7166d3f4a73a769cf5c87b52492

You lost your war and black people are getting rid of your statues.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Isn't that just going to add to the problem?

The original protest was over statue removal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can they not just shove em in a museum so they can get the whole remembering where they came from thing without having everybody else complain about it? No? Am I high?
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is a shame to see historical statues being torn down.
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
I'm sure similar things were said about the berlin wall, thankfully we've learned to ignore such stupid opinions. In 10 years this will be seen as common sense and slaver worshipers will be an even smaller fringe of people then it is now.
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
I must agree, I hate seeing historical work being destroyed.

Hopefully the ones that don't get destroyed will find their way to a museum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zargabaath)
I'm sure similar things were said about the berlin wall, thankfully we've learned to ignore such stupid opinions. In 10 years this will be seen as common sense and slaver worshipers will be an even smaller fringe of people then it is now.
1. The Berlin wall was a country dividing regime supporting wall that blocked people from seeing the rest of their rightful county and family/friends. This statue is a small statue that is not really blocking anything nor is it causing any harm. I would equate this to if there was a small bit of the wall on a plinth erected where the wall was to show where the wall was and to commemorate the falling of the wall and people wanted to destroy it since communists rallied around it and took pride in it.

2. I dont worship slavers, I dont really care personally about whatever General or Leader it is but I care about the historical value.

3. I would be surprised if there was anyone saying that we should keep the Berlin wall up due to it being "history" it is an absurd thing to suggest
bobby147
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Meany Pie)
I must agree, I hate seeing historical work being destroyed.

Hopefully the ones that don't get destroyed will find their way to a museum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I second this,this reminds me of the rhodes statue controversy.
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bobby147)
I second this,this reminds me of the rhodes statue controversy.
That was a joke, one would have thought such supposedly intelligent students would understand what a listed building is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bobby147
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That was a joke, one would have thought such supposedly intelligent students would understand what a listed building is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't see what people achieve when they want to take down statues like these.
People should use them to help teach them and future generations about the past so those mistakes are not repeated in the future.
It is disappointing my generation seems to just take down anything that offends them,it is contributing to the polarisation in our society.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
About 10 years ago we sat in Lee Park in Charlottesville. It was a nice day; there were few people about. The only people who took any notice of the statue were us. It is a little over-big for its plinth. We also sat in Court Square and admired the Stonewall Jackson statue (which frankly appeared to be a smaller version of the Lee statue).

But I have an abiding memory of the trip. We were staying in a decent hotel. The lift came to our floor. There was one respectable looking black guest inside. The white American woman standing in front of us waiting for the lift decided not to enter it. We went in front of her got in and went down in the lift. That is the whole story. Nothing else happened.
astutehirstute
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
About 10 years ago we sat in Lee Park in Charlottesville. It was a nice day; there were few people about. The only people who took any notice of the statue were us. It is a little over-big for its plinth. We also sat in Court Square and admired the Stonewall Jackson statue (which frankly appeared to be a smaller version of the Lee statue).

But I have an abiding memory of the trip. We were staying in a decent hotel. The lift came to our floor. There was one respectable looking black guest inside. The white American woman standing in front of us waiting for the lift decided not to enter it. We went in front of her got in and went down in the lift. That is the whole story. Nothing else happened.
Not quite sure what the anecdote is meant to prove, if anything. Is there racism in the South? Definitely.

But the irony is that black Americans are abandoning the soi distant progressive, non racist, uber liberal states to go to...you guessed it, the South.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...501-story.html
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by astutehirstute)
Not quite sure what the anecdote is meant to prove, if anything. Is there racism in the South? Definitely.
I am not sure what it is meant to prove either. It is just what struck me in a city that most of the time makes Greenwich Village look like the spiritual home of the National Rifle Association.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ok.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Racism isn't going anywhere. It's so stupid. What even is the statue? Of a former slave owner or? The statue isn't some magical stone that creates racism, so as if its removal removes racism... You can't remove racism, you donuts. But you can remove a statue. However I ask you what for? Hasn't the statue been there ages? Why suddenly remove it? :toofunny:. The things people bicker over, foolishly fanning the flames, eh.

It's like there's people within the left wing who are subverting the left wing cause (progressing to prevent political racism and discrimination) by getting involved with ******** behind the guise that it's a humanitarian effort. So over it.

I honestly had a dream a couple years ago that white supremacists invaded an all black neighbourhood and shot everyone, and they handed me the gun and I woke up. I feel like **** like that will actually happen more and more everyday :noway:. And ironically the left wing is adding to it with this STUPIDNESS.
Dima-Blackburn
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Isn't that just going to add to the problem?

The original protest was over statue removal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really.

The statue was just as excuse. It was more of a white-nationalist/far-right rally.
edd522
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zargabaath)
Lee opposed the Secession and played a key part in the reconciliation process though. I think his statues should not be removed.
edd522
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)

Lee's statue did not make her racist.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by edd522)
Lee's statue did not make her racist.
I don't know what made her racist.

There was a town with a couple of nice squares with a couple of statues that like most statues in most squares in most towns are just part of the streetscape. We as tourists went over and looked and none of the locals did. There were no protests, no Nazi salutes and no-one demanding their removal.
DavidSilvaMCFC
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The fact that these places are a gathering point for Neo-Nazis and the KKK show why they need to be taken down.

It's got nothing to do with "Muh Heritage". These statues of General Lee were erected in the Jim Crow era in response to the civil rights movement. Same for all the Confederate Flag waving. Lee himself didn't want any statues to be erected to himself. In Louisiana there were memorials to the Colfax massacre. These are tributes to terrorist attacks. Black people have to look at memorials dedicated to people that oppressed them.

If heritage and history matter move them to a museum but like I said these statues are only recent history. You don't see Germans having statues of Hitler because of "Heritage" or "History".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (99)
24.26%
No (309)
75.74%

Watched Threads