Majorette2018
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! I hold an offer of computer science with management and now I have some questions.

1. Why does the students satisfaction in CS with management is much lower than CS ( 58% vs 83% according to unistats)? I thought they are similar courses, why the difference?

2. Why the proportion of 2:1 above degrees is relatively low(70% according to whichuni, while other courses are mostly around 90%)? Does it mean that the assessments are very hard? Or there is not enough help by tutors?

3.And why the drop out rate is high(12%)?

4. If I choose a year in industry program, what kind of placement students normally find? Is it possible for me to find non-tech roles in finance sector such as Risk role in investment bank?And what kind of help will be offered by uni when looking for work placement opportunities?

Thank you for your time!
0xFFFFail
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To answer number 3, computer science has the highest average drop out rate across all courses if I remember correctly, so that'll definitely contribute.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CaiYu)
4. If I choose a year in industry program, what kind of placement students normally find? Is it possible for me to find non-tech roles in finance sector such as Risk role in investment bank?And what kind of help will be offered by uni when looking for work placement opportunities?
Hey there! I've just graduated from a Computer Science course, so feel free to send any questions my way!

In terms of help offered in finding a placement year, the broad answer is that it will depend on your university and their policies. It will also often be the case that the amount of help offered will also depend on whether you actively seek it; for example, careers departments at universities can offer things like practise interviews if you want them.

My university, for example, had a careers bulletin that advertised placement vacancies endorsed by them, which was really helpful in terms of seeing a broad list of vacancies.
Majorette2018
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Hey there! I've just graduated from a Computer Science course, so feel free to send any questions my way!

In terms of help offered in finding a placement year, the broad answer is that it will depend on your university and their policies. It will also often be the case that the amount of help offered will also depend on whether you actively seek it; for example, careers departments at universities can offer things like practise interviews if you want them.

My university, for example, had a careers bulletin that advertised placement vacancies endorsed by them, which was really helpful in terms of seeing a broad list of vacancies.
Wow, thanks! I would like to ask is it easy for a computer science student to find a non-tech job or internship in investment bank or other finance sector? Would it be necessary for me to get a finance related Master degree?

And another question is that which is more helpful in terms of employment, study abroad for one year in US or work in industry for a year?

Thanks!
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CaiYu)
Wow, thanks! I would like to ask is it easy for a computer science student to find a non-tech job or internship in investment bank or other finance sector? Would it be necessary for me to get a finance related Master degree?

And another question is that which is more helpful in terms of employment, study abroad for one year in US or work in industry for a year?

Thanks!
It will vary a little depending on the internship or placement in question, but some won't need a specific degree for you to be able to apply for them; you can have a look here for some idea on that front

It's difficult to say which is most helpful really, and I think it depends on whether you have other experience etc too. Personally I opted for the Year in Industry, and am very glad I did, as it's helped me massively in applying for jobs, but others will have gained plenty by doing a year abroad too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (60)
41.1%
Take autumn exams (53)
36.3%
Look for a job (3)
2.05%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.74%
Take a year out (18)
12.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
5.48%

Watched Threads