The Student Room Group

The truth is...

your whole life is harder if you're ugly and your whole life is better if you're attractive.

rip all ugly people

everyone and I mean EVERYONE judges on appearances AT FIRST and everything you say is put through a filter of what that person thinks about you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by StudyJosh
your whole life is harder if you're ugly and your whole life is better if you're attractive.

rip all ugly people

everyone and I mean EVERYONE judges on appearances AT FIRST and everything you say is put through a filter of what that person thinks about you.

Stupidest thing I've heard all month. :facepalm:
Should we die then?
It is true that appearance helps form first impressions but looks can only get you so far. If you don't have talent or an interesting personality, you will find it harder to make and maintain connections and progress in life.
Reply 4
Original post by Quizlet
Stupidest thing I've heard all month. :facepalm:

How so?
Reply 5
nothing. i just wanted to redpill a few people.
Reply 6
How so?

Not EVERYONE judges on appearance first, like me. I judge by personality, and I don't think appearance should determine much about a person.
Reply 7
Original post by Quizlet
Not EVERYONE judges on appearance first, like me. I judge by personality, and I don't think appearance should determine much about a person.

This is just your coping mechanism but it's just not true.
Reply 8
:[
Reply 9
This is just your coping mechanism but it's just not true.

I actually don't care about appearance. If they have a good heart and a good personnality, I'd obviously be friends with them and want to get to know them better.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Quizlet
I actually don't care about appearance. If they have a good heart and a good appearance, I'd obviously be friends with them and want to get to know them better.

cognitive dissonance is too strong
cognitive dissonance is too strong

If they have a good personnality*
Reply 12
Original post by Quizlet

but you're really lying BECAUSE as I said everyone judges on appearances AT FIRST (unless you're blind). it's an actual fact that you can't escape so stop trying to dance around it...

if this guy walked up to you, there are specific things you think about him...
Original post by Quizlet

But the OP has a point, as it takes a while to properly determine personality, and when you first meet someone, generally all you have to on is appearance

HOWEVER

By appearance I don't just mean pretty/ugly. Facial expressions, body language and dress all play a much bigger part to first impressions, so an 'ugly' person who's smiling, well-dressed and has good manners and is easy and comfortable to talk to would get by easier than a 'good-looking' person with ill-fitting clothes, a frown, and bad manners and whom no-one wants to be around.
Attractive in what way?
but you're really lying BECAUSE as I said everyone judges on appearances AT FIRST (unless you're blind). it's an actual fact that you can't escape so stop trying to dance around it...

if this guy walked up to you, there are specific things you think about him...

5 years ago I joined secondary school with someone who has a very severe condition where their face sloops on one side. She was LOVELY, a delight infact, and everyone else avoided her. We're best friends now and I absolutely think she's the best person I've ever met. I don't care about appearance as long as someone has a good heart and is a good person. I'm not going to bother taking this further because I'm not lying and you're just looking for an excuse to justify how you're 'right' when infact, you're not. @CheeseIsVeg what is your opinion on this?
The only way looks affect the way I view people is if I'm going to have sex with them, otherwise it is irrelevant
Reply 17
Original post by Quizlet
5 years ago I joined secondary school with someone who has a very severe condition where their face sloops on one side. She was LOVELY, a delight infact, and everyone else avoided her. We're best friends now and I absolutely think she's the best person I've ever met. I don't care about appearance as long as someone has a good heart and is a good person. I'm not going to bother taking this further because I'm not lying and you're just looking for an excuse to justify how you're 'right' when infact, you're not. @CheeseIsVeg what is your opinion on this?

Do you really not know what "AT FIRST" means... It's literally hardwired into humans to judge by appearances. Also, you probably knew about that condition when you met that person so you can throw your rubbish anecdotal evidence out the window.

You keep saying "I don't care about appearance" but really you're just strawmanning because I never said appearance overrides personality...
Do you really not know what "AT FIRST" means... It's literally hardwired into humans to judge by appearances. Also, you probably knew about that condition when you met that person so you can throw your rubbish anecdotal evidence out the window.

You keep saying "I don't care about appearance" but really you're just strawmanning because I never said appearance overrides personality...

I'm done talking to you :smile:, please don't mention me. Thanks!

rip all ugly people

You know, you're right for the most part. There's several studies floating around on how even academic professionals give students higher marks when they think a student is attractive, on average.

However keep in mind, it does work the other way too - Competition. Males can subconscious (or sometimes consciously) make it harder for an attractive male, to either impose perceived dominance, or in scientific terms: Being an *******. As with females too. Basically resentment towards what they want or envy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending