A LEVEL OPTIONS HELP + thoughts on A-Level Psychology and also Economics

Watch
xoxofearlessgirl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was wanting to do a level philosophy but one of the places I'm considering doesn't do it so I was thinking of maybe doing psychology or economics instead so what are they like as I have no idea so how hard are they, are they essay based and do you get a lot of homework and stuff for them and are they useful options?

Do I accept not being able to do philosophy at this sixth form college that has amazing photography with is something I want to do and do a different a level or do I got to a small sixth form which I could do philosophy but the photography isn't as good? I was basically decided on the college that doesn't do philosophy and hadn't realised it didn't do it as it was a new idea for me to do it.

Thank you!
KatyBenj93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Psychology is a fantastic subject. Although there is ALOT of information to get your head around. I'll be studying BSc Psychology at Uni this September
aleksceramics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It depends what you want to do with your A levels.

If you do choose psychology though, I think you would enjoy it! It is a very interesting subject, albeit content heavy. There are a lot of essays, and in my experience, quite a bit of homework, but it was enjoyable for me to study so it didn't feel like work!
That being said, there are some maths/stats and biological sides to it so if that isn't your thing, maybe think about that.
steph_diep
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I studied economics and psychology, both of which I found so interesting. They are both heavily essay based with psychology having SO much content whereas economics is like, more stuff to get your head around and try understand, but great if you want to do something business/finance related
Angxla
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In economics, there are a lot of terms you need to understand to get your head around the theory or macro and micro economics (2 sections at AS). Also, there is quite a bit of maths involved but it's not overwhelming. It's not too essay based but there still is an essay to do during the exams. If you like current world, up to date stuff and learning about different theories of operating business then pick economics
Nataliem24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It really depends on whether you know what you want to do after A Levels (because having a certain subject can help you when applying to uni or jobs) and how hard you are prepared to work - as everyone has said psychology is so content heavy (and has a ridiculous amount of key terms to remember!!) so you can become extremely stressed at times (particularly in A2) and feel like you have to dedicate A LOT of time into the subject. Saying that for some people it just clicks, but I also know that economics can be difficult at times as well in terms of learning concepts etc. Best thing to do would be to look at the specifications on the exam boards website and see what you'd prefer.

If you find having a lot of work quite stressful I'd maybe look into business studies rather than economics - but all the advise given by everyone here is their own personal experience so don't be put off by somethings as there's no doubt about the difficulty of all A Level subjects! (It's not made to be easy).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (103)
27.61%
No (270)
72.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed