The Student Room Group

gap year questions

hi,

if im planning to take a gap year after year 13 (currently year 12) do i just not submit anything on ucas? no personal statement or anything? and do i do my ukcat next year, not this year?
Reply 1
Two options:
1) Apply in this cycle for deferred entry, in which case you'd need to do UKCAT +/- BMAT and a full UCAS application before the October 15th deadline. You'd have interviews at the same time as everyone else, but if they make you an offer it would be for September 2019 entry instead of 2018. You would still have to meet your A-level offer next summer, you can't use the extra year for resits.

2) Don't do anything this year, then do UKCAT etc next summer after you've finished school.

Personally I'd go for option 1 (it's what I did many years ago) because of the high failure rate of medicine applications. You have nothing to lose by applying in this cycle, and if you don't get in then you can apply again on your gap year anyway, whereas if you do option 2 and it fails then you're looking at a 2nd gap year which is less than ideal. And if you do get a place on option 1, it means you're more free on your gap year to travel etc, rather than having to be available for interviews at short notice.
Original post by Helenia
Two options:
1) Apply in this cycle for deferred entry, in which case you'd need to do UKCAT +/- BMAT and a full UCAS application before the October 15th deadline. You'd have interviews at the same time as everyone else, but if they make you an offer it would be for September 2019 entry instead of 2018. You would still have to meet your A-level offer next summer, you can't use the extra year for resits.

2) Don't do anything this year, then do UKCAT etc next summer after you've finished school.

Personally I'd go for option 1 (it's what I did many years ago) because of the high failure rate of medicine applications. You have nothing to lose by applying in this cycle, and if you don't get in then you can apply again on your gap year anyway, whereas if you do option 2 and it fails then you're looking at a 2nd gap year which is less than ideal. And if you do get a place on option 1, it means you're more free on your gap year to travel etc, rather than having to be available for interviews at short notice.

thanks for the tips.

im taking a gap year because of my bad as results, so it is still not possible for me to apply this year, right?
Reply 3
Original post by hello654321
thanks for the tips.

im taking a gap year because of my bad as results, so it is still not possible for me to apply this year, right?

Well, it's possible, in that there's nothing physically stopping you from completing a UCAS form. But if your AS results are bad enough that you aren't predicted AAA, then applying to medicine this year would be pretty pointless.
Original post by Helenia
Well, it's possible, in that there's nothing physically stopping you from completing a UCAS form. But if your AS results are bad enough that you aren't predicted AAA, then applying to medicine this year would be pretty pointless.

So is it best for me to not do anything on ucas this year, then next cycle I apply with my A2 grades with a full application?
Reply 5
Original post by hello654321
So is it best for me to not do anything on ucas this year, then next cycle I apply with my A2 grades with a full application?

What are your predicted grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helenia
What are your predicted grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

im not sure yet we havent been to college to discuss it. at AS i got BBC in bio chem maths, my college say your AS grades will be the same as your predictions, therefore i dont think i have a chance this time round.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending