ChezB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am having a last minute realisation that I don't want to do the courses I applied for in my firm and insurance choices. What do I do if I meet the entey requirements for both of them as I want to go through clearing?
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You will have to phone up the university that accepts you and ask them to release you. You can then get a Clearing number to use when phoning up for courses in Clearing.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ChezB)
I am having a last minute realisation that I don't want to do the courses I applied for in my firm and insurance choices. What do I do if I meet the entey requirements for both of them as I want to go through clearing?
Contact your firm and ask them to release you. Keep in mind that universities don't always prioritise the releasing of people so it could take a few days. When talking to universities in Clearing, ask how long they will keep a place open for you.
ChezB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
You will have to phone up the university that accepts you and ask them to release you. You can then get a Clearing number to use when phoning up for courses in Clearing.
Thanks. So when they release me, can I just go through clearing the same way everyone does?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ChezB)
Thanks. So when they release me, can I just go through clearing the same way everyone does?
yes
Little Tail Chaser
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ChezB)
Yep. It might be worthwhile to start compiling a list of unis/courses that you're interested in, along with their contact details,
ChezB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snufkin)
Contact your firm and ask them to release you. Keep in mind that universities don't always prioritise the releasing of people so it could take a few days. When talking to universities in Clearing, ask how long they will keep a place open for you.
So even if I'm still in the process of being released, I can still find a course through clearing? Also, will unis hold places for a number of days (if thats how long releasing takes) or will I have to actually confirm a clearing choice on the day?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ChezB)
So even if I'm still in the process of being released, I can still find a course through clearing? Also, will unis hold places for a number of days (if thats how long releasing takes) or will I have to actually confirm a clearing choice on the day?
Some won't talk to you until you are released, they won't hold places for that long, no more than a couple of days.
Little Tail Chaser
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ChezB)
You can find a course (e.g. just by looking in the UCAS course search online), and phone up universities to see if theoretically they would accept you based on your grades (although you may not get very far until you have a clearing number - universities are not supposed to swipe students that currently hold offers elsewhere). They are unlikely to hold places for you as they want to fill up the course and there may be an essence of 'first come first served' to those that have the grades they are after. You have several days to put down a clearing choice however, it doesn't have to be tomorrow.
Snufkin
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ChezB)
Oh, sorry I should have been clearer. You can't phone universities and ask about clearing places until your release from your firm has been processed (so phone your firm early and ask them to hurry).
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Or, since not all subjects / unis will be in Clearing, you might be better off just dumping your UCAS application this year, and reapplying to five choices in the normal way in Oct for 2018 entry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (173)
27.2%
Not great so far... (227)
35.69%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.34%

Watched Threads